• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wont start without ether

sprockett2103

Hi all.

hopefully someone will help...

had my M35 for 18 months, always started and ran well, no problems.

renewed the filters just after i got it, i did use some WVO about a year ago, but recently have been running a 50/50 mix of diesel and kerosene, still it ran fine.

truck has sat all winter, with the occasional start and warm up, still no problems.

last weekend stopped at the local garage and put 10 gal diesel in, started up, left the garage no prob, approx 10 miles later, rolled up to a junction, engine died, would not start.

drained the primary filter at the side of the road, and quite a bit of water and white sludge came out, then drained the sec and final, more sludgy stuff. refilled and bled, still no start.

Cracked an injector line, and was getting some, but not lots of diesel.

so as a last resort, and i hate using it, gave a puff of ether... and it started straight up, wont idle under 1000rpm.

since then, drove it gently home, drained the tank and binned the fuel, steamed in the tank cleaned pump strainer, blown all the lines through with compressed air, new filters, new fuel. still wont start, only with ether.

ive had the stop valve out an it had a brown residue on it, but it wasnt stuck. cleaned and put back in, still the same.

the plunger is going up and down in the HH. my last resort is going to be park it up the road and set it alight.....

any suggestions very greatfully received.

hopefully not needing parts as in the UK parts are very expensive.

thanks in advance.

mark

RAYZER

Don't set it on fire yet!
Sounds to me like a sticky fuel control govener rod, pull the side cover on the i p (directly under the head) and check, you can run the engine when cover is off.
Also check the peddle for sticking, pull up on it while the engine is running and see if it brings the idle down.
Good luck.

Carlo

Don't set it on fire yet!
Sounds to me like a sticky fuel control govener rod, pull the side cover on the i p (directly under the head) and check, you can run the engine when cover is off.
Also check the peddle for sticking, pull up on it while the engine is running and see if it brings the idle down.
Good luck.
I had this same problem. There was rust on the rod causing it to stick. Good call.

RAYZER

Did you replace all fuel filters or just drain them?
They may be clogged.
Edit: I see where you said filters were replaced, a fuel system air leak would cause hard starting, i have seen where turning the fuel up a little solves a hard start low idle issue.

Last edited:

RAYZER

That should be one of the first things to ck. I've never had one go bad but with out it running 100% it might make these problems.
I agree, and check for fuel pressure out of it, I had one where the pump foot came apart in the tank, i could hear it runnng but no pressure.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel control rod actually controls the amount of fuel that the injector pump sends to the injectors. If it is gummed up it will not allow the fuel to flow correctly. Sometimes they stick shut, sometimes wide open and sometimes just gummed to where it won't idle below 1000 rpm.

Your description of the fuel stop leads me to the gummed up problem.

Hydrolic Head 1.gifFuel Rod.jpg

The low pressure fuel is the grey shading, it flows down to area of the spill passage. When you use the foot throttle it will move the fuel control unit which in turn moves the plunger sleeve. The more the plunger sleeve uncovers the spill passage the more fuel will be allowed in the spill passage and then on to the injectors. If any of this is gummed up (your brown residue description) it will affect the fuel flow.

Last edited:

sprockett2103

had the pump out and cleaned it up,tried it in a bucket of clean diesel, sprayed about 10 feet, assume that means its working, is there anywhere i can put in a pressure gauge?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put a pressure gauge in the port for the bleeder valve on the secondary filter.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog [ATTACH=CONFIG said:
491948[/ATTACH]View attachment 491949

When you use the foot throttle it will move the fuel control unit which in turn moves the plunger sleeve. The more the plunger sleeve uncovers the spill passage the more fuel will be allowed in the spill passage and then on to the injectors.

Just to keep things straight do believe when the spill port is open it can't build pressure so spill port open no fuel pressure it shuts off. Not when it it open it lets more fuel in. It is the spill port not the fill port.

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also by placing the test gage on the final fuel filters you can check intank pump of course but then when the engine is running you can check the IP lift pump pressures. You won't be able to check the IP pump with the gage on the fuel tank. I also do not leave gages on the truck I only hook them up to check a problem.

rustystud

The fuel control rod actually controls the amount of fuel that the injector pump sends to the injectors. If it is gummed up it will not allow the fuel to flow correctly. Sometimes they stick shut, sometimes wide open and sometimes just gummed to where it won't idle below 1000 rpm.

Your description of the fuel stop leads me to the gummed up problem.

View attachment 491948View attachment 491949

The low pressure fuel is the grey shading, it flows down to area of the spill passage. When you use the foot throttle it will move the fuel control unit which in turn moves the plunger sleeve. The more the plunger sleeve uncovers the spill passage the more fuel will be allowed in the spill passage and then on to the injectors. If any of this is gummed up (your brown residue description) it will affect the fuel flow.
Warthog, what manual is that diagram from ? Thanks.
EDIT : I just looked at Floridianson's pictures and see that it's from TM 9-2910-226-34 .

Last edited:

sprockett2103

i think some crap might have made it through to the HH, is it possible to dismantle it and clean it once its removed, dont want to mess it up, parts are hard to come by in the UK