• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce won't start

FIREGUY1

We have a multifuel, non-turbo that simply won't start. I get plenty of fuel to the injector pump (in-tank pump works fine), checked the fuel shut off lever under the pump cover (everythine is fine there), and removed the plug from the center of the hydraulic head. With the plug removed, I get alot of fuel out the hole with the switch on. I checked pump operation with a wooden stick in the center hole, everything moves as intended, but no fuel at all if I pull the injector lines at any of the injectors. The truck was getting kind of hard to start, and seemed to be losing a little power, especially when cold. Bad injector pump? Any advice would be helpful.

acetomatoco

RE: Duece won

Will it fire with a little sniff of good stuff... aka ether...? that will confirm your lack of fuel... I did not tell you to use ether...only asked if you had? No intention on my part to induce you to use ether...there that should be enough of a disclaimer....

FIREGUY1

Haven't tried ether. I get no smoke at all when cranking, and like I said earlier, no fuel at the injectors if I remove the lines.

Westech

CPL

use WD40 or a cold diesel start.. don't use the good stuff if you have no fuel...... that's a sure way to toss parts on the ground. as checking the injector Head... crack a line at the base and see if fuel comes out.... ***** Now never use your finers, hands ect to check for fuel leaks. The fuel is coming out at over 5k psi and will slice off your fingers/hand/ whatever it wants***** use a good pair of safety glasses also. if you have no fuel there also its time for a new injection pump or have that one rebuilt. not much more can be done.

acetomatoco

Ya gives it a little sniff thru the air cleaner while cranking....not before....have somebody who knows something about the Diesels before doing it... anonymous

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

i think i remember enough to tell you that you need to remove the center plug from the fuel head and be sure the plunger is going up and down. you said you did this, but is it going down far enoughto pick up a charge of fuel? i think the shut off lever lifts the center plunger which goes up and down 3 times in one crankshaft revolution. it is possible for the shut off to stick and limit fuel or allow no fuel at all. find the spot that the plunger is lowest, the exact spot, and push down on the plunger with a piece of hard wood and operate the shutoff lever. you may be able to tell if the stroke increases. you also may want to check the booster pump pressure, this is checked at the fuel filter housing. put a 0 - 100 psi gauge in the bleeder port, you should have maybe 15 - 20 psi at cranking rpm. at idle speed it will be about 30 psi and at high idle at will be around 70 psi. if it is very low your filters are probably dirty.

m35a2cowner

won't start

You have probably tried this but ....disconnect the shut off cable and push the rod all the way (don't use anything other than force of your fingers) into the pump housing. See if it will start. I had a cable once that would not let the rod go all the way in. Anyhow its cheap and easy to try. Good luck

FIREGUY1

I removed the center plug again, and tried to push down with a rod. I can move the rod about 1/8" against what seems to be spring pressure. It will push down then springs back up again. Is this normal? I don't know if it is at the bottom of the stroke or not; I'm trying to do this by myself. By the way, how much stroke does this have? If I determine the injector pump is bad, where is a good place to buy a rebuilt, or does anyone know of anyone around the Omaha, Nebraska area that rebuilds them?