• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wrecker, Davey-style!

davey8943

The wife and I bought her a new(ish) car about 6 months ago. Her old car is a 1996 Buick Century. The transmission was slipping, there were some crazy gremlin-type electrical things (I know its likely a ground somewhere, but I just don't have the patience to track it down), body rust, vinyl top coming unglued, etc etc etc...

So we decided it was better to sell it for scrap than to try to pawn it off on someone. The problem is that I don't have a full size car trailer (easily in reach), and I didn't want to take less to let someone come pick it up...

IDEA TIME!!!!

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

davey8943

Very crunchilly I believe.:-|
Bingo... I am taking it to the scrap yard, so I'm not so worried about the grill being intact when it gets there.

Riddle, the car is hanging from chain run through the bumperettes on the deuce and around the lower control arms / axle / strut on the car.

Dave

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No offense but you have an accident waiting to happen there or at the very least a stop by a local LEO. Spend $50 and have it towed

Punisher666

Looks like great minds of the OD variation think alike. I towed a grand cherokee to the crusher about 2 months ago the exact same way, and it worked very well. Adapt and overcome as needed:beer:

firefirefire90

wasn't there just a thread about people towing Mil trailers with civilian cars making us all look bad? Spend the money on some safety. Uhaul costs less than someone's life.

Wolf.Dose

Yes, there was that threat. However, I would not do it the way that guy did it. The towing vehicle is not made for that. From this point of view the towing of a scrap car with the Deuce is on the safe side.
Wolf

Punisher666

The crusher was a block away so it really wasnt a big deal, the tires were all flat, the steering linkage along with the tie rod ends were broke so flat towing was out of the question. If it were any further then i would have to agree, no it would not be the safest way of moving even a scrap car.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crusher was a block away so it really wasnt a big deal, the tires were all flat, the steering linkage along with the tie rod ends were broke so flat towing was out of the question. If it were any further then i would have to agree, no it would not be the safest way of moving even a scrap car.
If you're only a block away, you could've got a couple of homeless guys to push it for a 12 pack of Natty light!

Wolf.Dose

Ok, one more point to this. It just came to my mind that some 28 years ago a friend of mine broke the front axle of a M715 due to hard riding off road. The diff housing of the front axle was cracked and the oil dripped out. We had a M211 with us and chained the M715 to the rear bumpers of the M211. Worked fine and brought the M715 home over a distance of about 70 miles, over the Vogesen mountains with steep grades, thought a bigger town with a population of 220 000 and over the Autobahn. That on a Sunday where trucks over 3.5 t are not allowed to drive in Germany.
Wolf