• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces hard on asphalt?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering how deuces (M35A2 W/W) are on asphalt? Nothing more fun that cruzing around in the deuce and stopping to visit some friends at their house. My only concern is pulling in my driveway or somebody elses and leaving ruts in the driveway if its hot out or something. I would emagine turning on the stuff wouldnt help if you're dragging a set of duals might leave light rubber marks. I know there are a lot of factors but what do you guys think?

dittle

I would say that for short term parking on asphalt a deuce isn't going to hurt it if it has any type of base underneath it (I worked on an asphalt crew for 3 years during college). If there is no base under it and the asphalt is thin then there is nothing you can do. As far as turning you will leave some blackies on the asphalt, but nothing major that won't just fade away.

stumps

Ford F250 = 5000 lbs empty on 4 tires = 1250 lbs per tire average
Deuce W/W = 13,530 lbs empty on 10 tires = 1353 lbs per tire average

Both the deuce and the PU truck are significantly heavier on the front tires than the rear, so they should be about the same amount over the average weight per tire.

If the driveway can handle a 3/4 ton PU truck, a deuce should be fine.

-Chuck

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's hot out, stay off of the driveway. Mine has chewed up asphalt while turning.

LanceRobson

My f-350 dually weighs 7,400# with the fiberglass cab and ladder rack and almost 1,000# more with both tanks full and my tools. Our 36' fifth wheel RV weighed almost 13,000# with the fresh water tank full and a full load for camping. That sat on four tires and two landing legs. No problems with either.

As said in the above posts, I think that if you have an issue it will be with the front axle which, especially with a winch, is a bearing a lot more weight per tire and with the construction quality of the paving and sub-base which will be the real question.

I'd stay off any upstate New York driveway until the ground really dies out. Asphalt has a way of flowing on saturated ground. Think of what the school busses and milk trucks do to the rural roads every spring.

Lance

yetti96

Ford F250 = 5000 lbs empty on 4 tires = 1250 lbs per tire average
Deuce W/W = 13,530 lbs empty on 10 tires = 1353 lbs per tire average

Both the deuce and the PU truck are significantly heavier on the front tires than the rear, so they should be about the same amount over the average weight per tire.

If the driveway can handle a 3/4 ton PU truck, a deuce should be fine.

-Chuck

I would like to point out the new trucks might be heavier. My '04 F-150 (extended cab, 4x4) with me and half tank of gas in it is about 6,100lb. I would imagine a SRW Super Duty is north of 7k lb if it was a crew cab, long bed. Not knowing the weight displacement of either vehicle I too would assume, and agree that a deuce would not be any more terrible for a driveway (asphalt of concrete) than a typical truck.

datsunaholic

I left my Deuce in the driveway (asphalt) when we hit 103 here in W. Washington last year. Didn't do any damage at all.

But... if I pull out onto the street when it's over 85 degrees I chew up the asphalt street when turning slowly. Actually I'm not sure the street really is asphalt... might just be chipseal.

Now, I had one of my Datsuns on wheel ramps in much cooler weather and the ramp ended up sunk in the driveway... left a big hole, and the truck tipped off the ramp. I usually throw a sheet of plywood under the ramps, but didn't do it that day. Oops.

stumps

I would like to point out the new trucks might be heavier. My '04 F-150 (extended cab, 4x4) with me and half tank of gas in it is about 6,100lb.
Yes, there has been quite a bit of PU truck model classification deflation over the last 20 years. The F150's are now really 3/4 ton PU trucks, and the new F250's are 1T easy.

The point is still the same, if your driveway can withstand a full sized PU truck without problem, the deuce won't be a problem. As always, avoid sharp turns to prevent the rear wheels from scuffing up the surface. That also applies to heavy PU trucks.

As an additional consideration, the tire pressure makes a big difference. Disregarding small differences due to tread stiffness, tires apply the same average pressure (pounds per square inch) to the pavement as their inflation pressure: Lower inflation pressure, larger tire foot print. Higher inflation pressure, smaller tire foot print. The higher the tire pressure is on the pavement, the more likely it is to force its imprint into the pavement surface.

I run my deuce tires at 50PSI, but I run my PU truck tires at 85 rear, 50 front. As a consequence, my PU truck makes a deeper impression in soft ground than does my deuce.

-Chuck

dittle

2004 F350 Crew Cab SRW with diesel is just under 10,000 lbs per my sticker. Doesn't hurt my driveway normally. Now I did have about 4400 lbs of paving stones in it a couple of summers ago on a 100+ degree day and I can still see where the rear wheels were sitting. My deuce sat in my driveway last summer on some really hot days and didn't bother it. Asphalt isn't a "hard" compound as heat makes it soft, but the base underneath the asphalt will determine whether you sink into it or not.

dittle

One other thing to note about asphalt, fresh asphalt will tear up easier than something that has been around a year or so. Chipstone is crap as far as holding up to any kind of wear, its just tar on top of the exisiting with some chip rock in it. No strength there what so ever.

dittle

Yes, there has been quite a bit of PU truck model classification deflation over the last 20 years. The F150's are now really 3/4 ton PU trucks, and the new F250's are 1T easy.

The point is still the same, if your driveway can withstand a full sized PU truck without problem, the deuce won't be a problem. As always, avoid sharp turns to prevent the rear wheels from scuffing up the surface. That also applies to heavy PU trucks.

As an additional consideration, the tire pressure makes a big difference. Disregarding small differences due to tread stiffness, tires apply the same average pressure (pounds per square inch) to the pavement as their inflation pressure: Lower inflation pressure, larger tire foot print. Higher inflation pressure, smaller tire foot print. The higher the tire pressure is on the pavement, the more likely it is to force its imprint into the pavement surface.

I run my deuce tires at 50PSI, but I run my PU truck tires at 85 rear, 50 front. As a consequence, my PU truck makes a deeper impression in soft ground than does my deuce.

-Chuck
Good points Chuck, PSI on the ground (flotation) make a big difference to how hard the tires are on the surfaces you're driving on.

Haggar

I would like to point out the new trucks might be heavier. My '04 F-150 (extended cab, 4x4) with me and half tank of gas in it is about 6,100lb. I would imagine a SRW Super Duty is north of 7k lb if it was a crew cab, long bed. Not knowing the weight displacement of either vehicle I too would assume, and agree that a deuce would not be any more terrible for a driveway (asphalt of concrete) than a typical truck.
Yeah, my old V10 dodge 2500HD with big cap on the bag and the usual stuff I had was around 7600 lbs with me in it (as per the scrapyard scales), on skinny 245 tires. My 4 tire'd trailer was 7000lbs loaded, so I'd be 14000+ on 10 skinny tires with no damage to either of my driveways.

But people have good points, depends a lot of the driveway itself. Good quality asphalt thats old and packed together tight, vs newer loose stuff, or resurfaced, etc.

If heavy delivery vehicles or things sitting in the sun like jackstands tend to sink into your drive, then you might be careful when its hot. Mine is pretty old and compacted and seems to stand up to most things well.

flighht2k5

Banned
2004 F350 Crew Cab SRW with diesel is just under 10,000 lbs per my sticker. Doesn't hurt my driveway normally. Now I did have about 4400 lbs of paving stones in it a couple of summers ago on a 100+ degree day and I can still see where the rear wheels were sitting. My deuce sat in my driveway last summer on some really hot days and didn't bother it. Asphalt isn't a "hard" compound as heat makes it soft, but the base underneath the asphalt will determine whether you sink into it or not.
With all due respect, I highly doubt your truck weighs 10000 pounds. That is more than likely the GVWR. The curb weight of your truck is probably more around 6000 pounds.

saddamsnightmare

March 18th, 2010.

I'd say at least turn carefully and park in different spots on the driveway. Harpers Ferry NHP unwisely paved the bus parking areas with asphalt when it installed its transit bus system in 1990, and by the early 2000's it had to take out the asphalt and put concrete with very coarse aggrate mix in the stopping areas, as the busses had created trenches in the asphalt. My house driveway was built of concrete in the 1970 period, and the man that lived here owned a civillian single axle dump truck..... Let's just say that the deuce has found the weak spots in the driveway and cracked them from moving slow and being parked.... My next driveway is gonna be built to land B-29's on.... as it seems a foot of concrete with rebar would just about handle a deuce or a Unimog......

Good luck, drive careful,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D
and remember, brothers in law are replaceable>>>>>!;)

stumps

Out in the real world, there is a lot of confusion about what GVWR means. In a nutshell, it is the maximum weight your tires are ever allowed to put on the road.

-Chuck

roscoe

Some of the advantages of living on a gravel road with a gravel drive. All I got to do is scrape it once in a while. I'm always careful on other peoples asphalt drives. Stay away from the edge. I have not had a problem on concrete drives with a 23K truckon 6 tires in 12 years. Deuce has not been a problem yet but I typically back in and don't make any turns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks