• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce's oil seems very thin

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. If you want to know HOW much dilution you have, get a test kit and send in a sample for analysis.

Several common culprits have been identified: Manifold heater nozzle (for cold starts), fuel density compensator (if it is not bypassed already) and 3 O-rings in the hydraulic head of the injection pump. Roughly in that order.
Plenty of info in other threads.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I have a cheap sourse of O-rings at oringsandmore.com or I have a few sets left or may be time for an HH replacement, which I may have one of those laying around too.

rizzo

Yes. If you want to know HOW much dilution you have, get a test kit and send in a sample for analysis.

Several common culprits have been identified: Manifold heater nozzle (for cold starts), fuel density compensator (if it is not bypassed already) and 3 O-rings in the hydraulic head of the injection pump. Roughly in that order.
Plenty of info in other threads.
also the fuel booster pump on the side of the IP. That was my problem.

lots of posts about it. time for an oil change to get the diesel out
don't put new oil in. Leave plug out and run the lift pump in the tank. Mine started dripping fuel out of the drain plug within a minute. If fuel comes out it is probably one of the three in the ip. remove the fuel shut off cover and see if you can see any leaks in the area. if not remove the booster pump on the side of the IP. leave the hoses attached. check for leaks around the shaft seal. if those two are not leaking bypass fdc.

OK, I have a couple questions.

I was checking the oil in my Deuce and noticed that it seemed a bit high ( engine cold, had not been cranked in a week). I know when I last changed my oil that I put the proper amount (22 quarts) in.

Could it be that the oil leaks back down from the filters (I have the originals, not the spin ons) into the sump, making it appear that the truck has too much oil?

Truck runs great, but engine oil seems "thin" whatever that means. Not sure how thick it's supposed to be.

I guess the best thing is to get an analysis done?

LC

kennys@wi.rr.com

In a nutshell, yes. The way to check the oil is to wait one minute after shutting the engine off. If you wait over night the filters will have drained and it will show overfull.

In a nutshell, yes. The way to check the oil is to wait one minute after shutting the engine off. If you wait over night the filters will have drained and it will show overfull.
Thanks, Kenny. That gives me a little peace of mind.

I'll probably still have an analysis done just to make sure there's nothing to worry about, but this helps.

LC

Last edited:

rizzo

Does any one know if engaging the manifold heater switch without trying to start it will leak diesle in the crank case
I would think that if it is working correctly it should not leak, but I do not know for sure, I have never had a flame heater truck.

I think that topic has been covered. The answer c is probably on here somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks