• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DeuceTtranny Problem

qbubba51

My deuce will not shift into fifth gear. Pulled top cover and was able to shift though all 5 positions. Can manual shift the gears in the tranny with no problem. Put the top cover on and I 1st though 4th. No fifth.

Looking for some direction.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you place the shifter forks in the 5th position with the cover removed? This sounds like a fork problem to me.

qbubba51

i can manaually move the gears in the transmisson with the top cover off. It shifts into fourth gear with no problem with the top cover on.

The synco for fifth is chewed up a bit, I still should be able to grind it in. When shifting into fifth the gear shift lever stops dead. Seems like it is hitting something.

GoHot229

Shaft 'C clips" or something retaining 5th gear on the shaft???? or the idler??? All just guess's Mabe the pivot on the trans snout where the shifter comes out of the trans/floor, ie a retaining pin ? If your getting shifting by manually going through with the top off, and upon replaceing the top---no shifting, my guess is with the shift arms being amis, a retainer, a clip or mabe slightly bent shift-arms?

GoHot229

This is of-course an exploded view cutaway of another trans, but for what I'm pointing to it will suffice. as the numbers corespond with areas or specific parts.... note that # 8-9-10 and 11 (ie. shift rail) are areas where shavings or crud could prohibit full travel (slideing) in and out of the pathways. Also # 15 if missing or half in-out could throw off the travel the shift forks travel.

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if the syncro looks torn up there is something major wrong and you need to remove the mainshaft to examine it. this can be done with the trans in the truck, but i suspect you have more problems than you realize.

tom