• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dewey Battery Charging Aux Power Unit - Generator Head Swap

yertnamreg

I got the generator head swapped on my BAPU unit. Everything went VERY smoothly! Only "fab" work needed was drilling two new holes for the rubber generator head mount. I think this video covers most of the work needed. The only things omitted were I used a 3 jaw puller to get the bushing off (there was no adhesive, thank god), and I used a vacuum bleeder to bleed the fuel system.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so with this modification, the factory gauges are rendered useless correct? Is there any way to gauge what kind of amperage is being drawn? I'd love some more info (i.e. fine detail) on this swap. Thanks

yertnamreg

Well there really aren't any factory gauges on this generator, so you're not really losing anything. The remote/local start capabilities still work fine. I literally did nothing to the wiring. Simply disconnected the wiring to the alternator and connected 28V to the same place you would normally connect the battery to be charged.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok then I guess I am the one confused. I thought the BAPU was the same thing as an MEP-501A (which has voltage and load gauge).

yertnamreg

They are similar, but have a few differences. The BAPU is a 3.5kW unit and uses the L100 instead of the L48 Yanmar engine. The other difference is that font panel you're thinking of. The BAPU just has a small box with a few LEDs and a Hobbs meter. It would be easy to add gauges if you wanted though.

Chainbreaker

Grabbed both BAPUs up today... look forward to doing this swap!
Oh, so your the one who got em! I was watching those contemplating putting in a bid on 1 and forgot about them due to other priorities. When I went back they were gone.:neutral: Glad they went to another SS member!

So what do you plan to use as a pwr distribution box?

If I ever purchased a BAPU I would considering taking off my Hubbel Spider box that I mounted on my MEP-002 trailer to use on a BAPU for distribution since it has some really nice features for handling 120/240.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only wanted one... seems they are on the wrong coast for me. So I did some figuring, if I tucked the second one on the same skid, the freight went up $3... so thats why I have two!

Not sure what I want to do on power termination at this point.... got at least a week to figure it out :)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new fun arrived on a skid earlier today. Care to share the bolt sizes and extended lengths chose to replace (that you called out in the video)? Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those interested, I have been able to obtain a copy of the Dewey issued commercial manual for this unit (not a gov document). See attached. One of my units came with a hard copy of it, not sure of the second. I do see at least one connecting cord for the remote unit (but I don't think the remote box is with it). Will probably have some more time to unpack and play this weekend.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you did the head swap, were you able to put the stock alternator cover back over the new AC head?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to hear. Whole mess went off in the last two days. If I didnt already have two, I would have been bidding (some of those units have the remote control box... which would be nice to have).

Third From Texas

Well after GP "lost" my BAPU (after 7 freight pickup attempts over three weeks and then took another 5 weeks to refund my money), I purchased (from *another* auction house) a surplus Yanmar LV100 (same engine) genset with a bad power head. It ran flawlessly and I finally got around to ordering the powerhead (Northstar 6000).

The powerhead arrived today,so it's time to tear the old one off and slap this big bastard on there.

Fingers crossed...

tt2468

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all your various info. Theres nearly nothing else online and they are dumping these BAPU's off for so cheap.

Third From Texas

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for all your various info. Theres nearly nothing else online and they are dumping these BAPU's off for so cheap.
Well, "cheap" being subjective here (they typically fetch twice what they went for before they all ended up in CA). Used to get them all day long under $500. Now it's rare to see one sell under $800.

I had a ujoint failure during a recovery this week. That gen saved my ass. The 6kw powerhead worked flawlessly and ran our heat, hab, power tools, chargers, and lighting.

78297136_10215585396218531_2752918958351843328_o.jpg

20191210_191228.jpg

Dirty Dozen was on while awaiting parts...

20191210_101101.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks