• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diablo Build Update (pics)

hot rod deuce

Yes you may have to make alternator bracket but i think by the looks of things that would be the least of your problems. the batt's probably wouldnt be a problem. i figure like this. now you have 24 volts and the amps of one battery, make it 12 volt and you would double the amps.

We have a few trucks with 3116's that only run two batt's (group 31) I think sticking to two batt's rather than one big one would be better, it seems to work a little bit better. I have two optima G-31 yellow tops (deep cycle+starting) for my cummins. They have a very high RC rating as well.

did you know that when alot of dodge guys run twin turbos they only run one battery? They say if its in good shape it will start just as good down to about 50 degrees.

Just run down to the local auto-electric guy and im sure he will have a starter that will just bolt on. It will be more work now to convert but it will save you double down the road.

devilman96

Now that I've got a 24V AC im in a dilemma.... *ugh*.... I can exchange the compressor I guess and swap out the electronics but damn I hate wasting money like that...

FYI... If anyone wants to do such a swap the starter and alt can both be converted for about 160-175 each.. You can pick up a starter as Hot Rod mentioned but the HT40 or 40HT has 2 different nose cones with 2 different bolt patters and 3 different sized gear drives...

devilman96

The power window and door parts are all 12V... I have intended to install a second Alt to the truck and run both voltage systems... I had considered going 12V before I started buying all of this but I was considering the 24V advantages with starting, etc... I think I am going to stick with the original plan for right now and add the second Alt and run both 12V and 24V...

Its more complicated in some ways but more reliable / manageable in others... The stereo system is a 14 speaker 2800 watt system. It draws over 30 amps just being powered up and pulls about 60 under full load... I can afford to kill the 12V system without the worries of killing the truck and I don't have to fight with the usual vehicle difficulties of a charging system being under powered with flickering lights and cold start difficulties. The smart way of installing a system of this size in a normal 12 auto is to put in 2 12V systems so I am not that far off base keeping the 24V and adding 12V... Toys are great and so on but reliability, redundancy, bullet proof and brick $hit house are far more important to me. I put the switching, relays and wiring harness required to make it all work with the simple turn of a key on paper weeks ago, I just have to suffer though 2 or 3 days of installing it all.

If I run into to many head aches I can change the AC over, convert the starter / alt and swap out the light bulbs...

devilman96

OK not much of an update but I am running out of play things with out having a truck but I will get into that in a minute...

The dash changed... the gloss black was nice but WAY to reflective so I went with a textured polymer, which is a over glorified way of saying bed liner coating applied in a unusual manor but I think it look pretty nice... All of the OD is done in "gun kote" which is a really nice product for finishing parts that need to be scratch resistant. The A/C and radio are stuck in there but the rest I need from the truck... Which reminds me... Where are you guys finding the digital headlight controls??? I feel like I have looked everywhere for them at this point with no avail.

I got a little bit of a break on my tires finally... I found a set of 5 12.00R20 XML's for $650 shipped... Hopefully I will have them by next week.(I was dreading the idea of UDT 1100's)

As for my truck... *ugh*... I contacted GL after 7 weeks to ask why my status was still showing "needing corrections" seems they had managed to "not receive" what I am calling my 4th revision request.. They also claimed to not have received or requested the 2nd or 3rd revision request they sent me... **why do people go postal?... I wonder** I think they all hit the trash after my 4th reply was sent with a email asking why it was taking a 4th time for revisions on information that was ok on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, go around... asking once would SAVE TIME wouldn't it? Silly me for wanting to be efficient!!

**** I really hate GL****

I do everything by email vs. using a fax so I forwarded them their request and my replies on the 2nd, 3rd, and FOURTH request... I am assuming that worked because the status now shows awaiting DRMO approval... another few weeks... As long as this is taking I am in fear of missing parts/stripped parts when I do finally get the release...

Anyways... more to come eventually... :)

Attachments

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devilman wrote:

**** I really hate GL****

I do everything by email vs. using a fax so I forwarded them their request and my replies on the 2nd, 3rd, and FOURTH request... I am assuming that worked because the status now shows awaiting DRMO approval... another few weeks... As long as this is taking I am in fear of missing parts/stripped parts when I do finally get the release...
Let me share with you how I got those co*k-su*kers off thier ass the last (and final ) purchase I made from them...

After months of delays and excuses from them...I got a site manager on the phone and calmly explained to him...

I'm really concerned that you guys are running a fraudulant operation and
when I get off the phone with you I'm calling the district attournys office in the county your located in.

He begged me not to...and 2 days later the big brown truck (UPS) showed up with the item.

Of course the picture DID NOT TELL THE WHOLE STORY and AGAIN I payed too much for crap!

devilman96

Well... They must be serving ice cubes in hell today because I got my release information on the Deuce. Im am finalizing pick up arrangements in Jax to have it trailer to a friends shop in Orlando.. I am still 3 hours south but it will give me the opportunity to do a service and check everything over before making the trek home in the next few weeks.

NOW I can get down to doing some serious building and adding on these piles of parts and toys I've been accumulating over the past 3 months!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Mike. When are we making the trek to NAS JAX? If there's anything you need, let me know.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dman,
ALLL RIGHT! It's about time they finally shook your truck loose from their system!!

Now you will REALLY have to start posting TONS of pix as you start the assembly process.

I'm glad I don't live in HURRICANE ALLEY like I used to in Corpus Christi or Houston, but I wish I lived close by so I could help.

Just know that all of us are cheering from the sidelines...

jim

devilman96

Well I am back to tinkering.... Having the truck released gives some motivation... I expect it to be picked up Tues but this shipping ordeal has not been a fun experience! If your buying a Deuce out of town and you need it shipped make DAMN SURE you have plenty of extra money and SEVERAL back up plans... My original plan finally worked out but I have been sweating bullets after 3 missed scheduled pick ups. When it finally hits Orlando it will proably take me about 2 - 3 weeks before bringing it down, or maybe not, its hard being excited and not getting in a hurry!

I am working on the door panels... Or the second idea for panels... Yeah I know pics pics pics... Tonight or tomorrow hopefully...

I scored a nice set of leather seats on eBay for 200$... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8068033520 I have been hunting for months now and it seems every good looking black leather powered seat set would hit the 500$ mark. The seller also has the center console from the car so I am waiting on pics to see if I can incorporate that into the over all picture, at least it would all match and blend nicely. I have no idea what I am going to do with the rear set but I may make it a redneck throw in for the bed. I like the idea of keeping the "talkative" ones at a distance... LOL!!!

devilman96

Ok some pics... I built the door panels out of 18 gauge sheet metal, there are some details which you cant see like a recess in the back for the door popper and pins in the top to hook into the door v/s screwing it in place so it has more of a factory look when finished. There is a green aluminum strip that goes just under the transition between the top and bottom of the panels that I have yet to make but it will just be a piece of 3/4 wide trim to help break things up. I MAY end up doing the bottom of the panel with a carpet strip to add a little flavor but I want to see the trim and arm rest installed to see if it needs it.

I am not quite done with the arms rest but I am finished them to match the dash, the switch plates will get OD so everything blends. One switch pops the door the other if for the power glass...

It will be a few days of sanding, finishing, drying, and powder coating before everything is ready to be installed, of course... more pics to come.

Attachments

Desert Rat

I am in awe and respect for the quality of your work! If 'Storm wasn't a work truck I think I'd be doing something similar.

devilman96

Geeeessshh.... What a long weekend...

Well up to Orlando I went to give the truck a once over, I was nervous about the whole ordeal!!! It is one thing to do a pre inspection before buying and go over things the best you can to feel as confident as possible and a whole another thing to actually get your hands on it finally after 2.5 months of waiting.

I had her picked up at the Air base in Jacksonville and hauled with a low boy down to Orlando last Tues... It was winched up on the trailer and pulled off with a fork lift. GL kept the driver waiting 3 hours before sending someone over with a fork lift to move the truck 30 feet so the drive could load it.... I HATE that location!!! The haul ended up cost $400 which was supposed to be a $200 deal but you know how these things go... To me it was worth the piece of mind getting the truck to a location where I knew I could go over it v/s trying to make a 400+ mile trip home with it from the base.

I swapped out the batteries and I had to smack the starter a few times to get it to spin over... I hate these Prestocrap starters, they like to seize up from sitting not allowing the solenoid to make contact. Over all it think it took about 25 minutes to have her cranked and purring.

I hopped into the cab and moved it up to the shop door.... Im my bliss and excitement I forgot about checking my emergency brake knowing my booster was bad... Almost took out one of the shop walls!! Some quick turning and I hit a 4 ton welding table at only about 5 miles an hour and shoved it about a foot... Biggest brain fart I've had in years!!! After cleaning my paints out and having 6 people rolling on the floor laughing at me and asking why I am bothering I got the booster changed out and brakes bled... Whom needs enemies when you have friends like mine??? With about 3 hours of chugging Red Bull and crawling all over it like a ant I was good to go for a ride... Damn that was a nice feeling!!!

The only problem I encountered was head gaskets, before start up I had a coolant leak between the heads which dripped and then stopped after about 5 minutes of running... I debated pulling them and sending them out this week for a shaving and installing new gaskets before making the rest of the 280 mile trek home but after reading how common it is to have them leak on warm up and having it running for about 3 hours and then rechecking after sitting overnight I think its more storage related... I will re-torque them when I go back in 2 or 3 weeks to drive it home and then do the heads here at my shop where I have more resources. Other wise it seemed a little sluggish and underpowered on top end but I will totally relate to the fuel... It is hard to say how long the poor thing has been out of service... I had a Ford tractor that was at my shop sitting for 3 years which I got up and running a few weeks ago... The diesel in that tractor smelled like new production stuff compared to the poor Deuce's mixture of diesel, gas, JP, and whom knows what else.

The oil pressure held at 60 psi idle when warm and 90 when under power... The temp held at 165 -170... The voltage was at 26.75 under load with lights and the air held in at 95 psi.

Of course pictures were the last thing I thought of before leaving Saturday night but I snapped a few as it was getting dark... Many... many... many more to come in the next few months!!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, are the tires suitable for the trip? Congrats on finally getting the truck. Any luck with titling? Are you shortening the original bed? I forgot.

devilman96

Tires are great... you are prolly going to get a lot of spares here soon if you want them!

I am working thru titling... The state wanted to verify the no SF thing... It was not so much that I didn't have one as it was they wanted to make sure that I was not BSing them on the issue. I am hoping on Monday I will have an email back to take to the tag office. I did a standard title app, the invoice with no signature is what threw the loop in it. Not a big deal im sure...

Yeah axle and bed are getting whacked... I could use your help with pulling the bed if I can borrow some space in the back for about a month... I have 3 loaders here to lift with but nada for storage space... Think the neighbors would mind?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks