• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diagnosis: broken con rod

Skrilex

Banned
Well this is getting weird now. As I’m removing the engine I’m finding a lot of loose connections. Missing motor mount bolts, hose clamps missing, things hand tight. It’s almost like they swapped this engine half way in from the actually truck that blew up. Maybe just for pics and sales boost? Very strange but it’s apparent that the engine was not blown up in this chassis I don’t think, or if it was someone told them to slap it back in and make it look semi installed. Quite odd really.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this is getting weird now. As I’m removing the engine I’m finding a lot of loose connections. Missing motor mount bolts, hose clamps missing, things hand tight. It’s almost like they swapped this engine half way in from the actually truck that blew up. Maybe just for pics and sales boost? Very strange but it’s apparent that the engine was not blown up in this chassis I don’t think, or if it was someone told them to slap it back in and make it look semi installed. Quite odd really.
I doubt GP would waste the time, $, or effort but the unit that had it before might or the motor pool where it sat might have "borrowed" it to swap some other truck into running condition. Could also have been used as a teaching hands on....

Dock Rocker

Here’s what that engine says on it. Just for FYI. I’m starting to think the 6.2/6.5 is a waste of time and a BBC would get me more kicks for less $.
Just go with a LS Motor. You can get your 4l80e along with the same amount of horsepower as well an easy harness to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a GM 6.5. GEP started manufacturing the 6.5 in 2002ish, that was rebuilt in '09, likely a GM engine. I kinda doubt you can find an LS and switch over a slew of accessories for what you can buy a runtested pull out GEP 6.5 for.

Skrilex

Banned
Okay well I’m open to engine ideas but for now since I have a running pickup engine I think I’ll slap it in and put the turbo on it. Maybe a waste of time and cause irreversible body mods but maybe it will be cool.
So, is the inj pump on this gym 6.5 appreciable different than the one on the goodwrench 6.2? They both standyne. Also, any other parts that should be swapped from here to there?
Should I keep the mech fuel pump? Also, it appears there is no vacuum system on the hmmwv, so I guess I can eliminate that on the 6.2.

Skrilex

Banned
Just go with a LS Motor. You can get your 4l80e along with the same amount of horsepower as well an easy harness to deal with.

I’ll probably work on blowing this 6.2 up while working toward a 6bt swap. Purely because I’m a glutton for punishment and I’ve never owned one and always wanted one. The hmmwv engine bay is clearly set up for a V8 but, heck, that hasn’t stopped others.
Curious though, why do you think a LS is a better choice than like a used RV 454?

Dock Rocker

Curious though, why do you think a LS is a better choice than like a used RV 454?
I will field this one.
First it makes the same or more horsepower than the big block with considerably less weight.

It’s fuel injected so it’s no fun to crank whenever you want no matter what the temp or humidity is.

It’s plug and play with a 4l80e so you get overdrive.

Wiring is a snap with all of the options out there.

Aftermarket support is off the chart. You can just leave it stock, slap a blower on it or even go turbo.

Last but not least they are dirt cheap. Especially if you go the 5.3 route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks