• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diamond in the Rough, or Rough cut Diamond

waayfast

200inches of snow?? Sounds like around here!Maybe it's in a spot where the wind blows enough so that the snow does not accumulate on the top of the thing.I'm not familiar with the construction of the 109 box but there is a limit as to how much "glacier" every structure will stand.

Thought I would throw that out there since we have just been reminded of that fact ourselves. The GF mobile home caved in this winter due to snow load so now we have THAT mess to deal with.OH yeah --it is in a town that is 1000' lower from here, where they don't get as much snow AND it was an easy winter--------

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your question, diamond in the rough or rough cut diamond, it can be either. You received a lot of suggestions what to look for, but a truck parked somewhere in the wild for 10 years is anyone's bet. May fire right up with new batteries or may have major issues.

Forest creatures and plants have a way of occupying enemy territory and once you get rid of the hornets, fire ants and bear cubs, you may be able to enter the truck!

Recoveries and truck rescues like these are always exciting and please keep us informed with pictures and descriptions. I am rooting for you and hope that you discover an exceptionally good truck!

NoLeftTurns

Read that I shouldn't roll start her. Don't really like the idea of jumping starter to crank - but sometimes you gotta take a chance - thanks for the idea. Will stick with trying to hand crank - then jump unless complications arise.
Appriciate the idea on the glad hand. Have seen this once, don't know much about it. Will look into it. My thought was a compressor will run out of air fast, and I don't have a plug. My other thought is, since I homebrew maybe I can take co2 tank to power air tools (600psi vs 150psi). Am I crazy?
Okay maybe not 200 inches.. maybe like 200 cm. But we won the war and I don't like to use those measurements. I feel you on the snow though. Dad's RV broke from snow few years back. I think she withstood the snow, since picture was only a year old. Asked Lady to bring me picture, so I should have it tomorrow. She said she might have a manual or some sort of papers also.
Man if I can clean that deisel - 300 gallons @ 2000 prices - I might be able to retire early.

Danger Ranger

WOW, makes me want to come all the way out from Ohio, this is so exciting! End of the world planning in an M109, I like this guy. And his wife went along with it! You need to get to that truck! Keep us updated!!!

mactiredearg

> Also unfortunately it is in the NW corner of the state, close to the wyoming border.

Craigish or Steamboatish?

My inlaws just move out of Craig but still know a lot of people in the area so I might be able to get a sitrep/snow report on the location.

Show up for the next MVCC meeting. There's almost always an A2 sitting around and shouldnt be hard to get an overview on what to look for when you do the recovery. might even run into someone crazy enough to ride along. :twisted:

and I'm officially jealous...

NoLeftTurns

I want to say she said near Rand, but I could be making that up. I will be asking more specifics tomorrow. Asked for the picture. I'd love to go to a MVCC meeting but they are pretty far south for me. We'll see if I can find a reason.

End of the world right?!? I need to hurry the **** up, 2012 is right around the corner. I might find guns, I just hope I don't find dynamite. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think I have to go for it. I love off roading and I know I could sell the axles for what I wold pay for the whole truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
one thing, if you jump start, then run without batteries, make sure the dash master switch is OFF or you will burn up your alternator

NoLeftTurns

Thanks for all the help guys. I made it up twice, and have got her running. Now I just need brakes. It is a weird truck. An m275 converted to hold an m109 box. It has the 427 motor in it also. You can check my other post for about 30 pictures. Now I just need to finish and get her down before the next Big snow. I will be checking out the mvcc club soon. Great info and help here on SS.

Vanniek71

I ended up finding them after I posted that. What did you end up paying for it if you don't mind me asking? Looks like a good place to start...hey it runs!!

I am going to go look at the one in Arvada tomorrow after I am done with the IDPA shoot. I will get some pics of various things and then come back and share it with the experts!

NoLeftTurns

I wish I was smart enough to know how to do that! To be honest if I didn't find this forum I wouldn't know host post at all. Also if the site would let me upload pictures from my iPad I would have many more.