• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diamond in the suburbs?

m37dsl

I have been trying to get ahold of a complete truck for the right price after a couple of failed attempts and i finally picked up this deuce last weekend. 1970 with white multifuel and D turbo, pretty much everything is there. The truck was buried in a residentail neighborhood in Napa CA. Came with ALOT of extra parts that i still need to go through. Hasnt ran in a while so here we go!

Attachments

m37dsl

Had a long saturday night trying to get it running once in the shop, got in tank pump freed up and flowing, fuel to injection pump but not pumping out of the injection pump!!!

After some head scratching, a good nights sleep and some forum surfing removed the HH and found the plunger rod stuck, Installed good HH off of parts motor and she runs like a champ. Aftermarket air assist steering is VERY handy when moving this thing around.

Now onto the charging system, Installed 2 good batteries and cleaned all the terminals, still only 24.7 Volts. Tried the easy route adjusted the voltage screw on the alternator, no go. Removed alternator and found some loose connections inside but still no charging. Everything appears to be in good shape and reciently rebuilt for that matter but i think im going to have to have a shop check out the alternator.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome find, good job!!

LOVE that gooseneck trailer you've got, I gotta get me one of those....

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
OUTSTANDING remember you need to check the Wooooh before the Gooo. Read the forums and do the maint. Sounds like you have saved some history . Good job.[thumbzup]

m37dsl

Local alternator shop doesnt want to touch the factory beast with a 10 foot pole so i am thinking a more modernt 24 volt setup may be easiest, probably just copy the wolverine kit.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Local alternator shop doesnt want to touch the factory beast with a 10 foot pole so i am thinking a more modernt 24 volt setup may be easiest, probably just copy the wolverine kit.
Try Antelope Valley Truck Parts in Lancaster, CA for a take-off.
Barstow Truck Parts will also have one but be more $$$.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright so which one of you has that "low rider Deuce"?? acutally looks pretty cool but I like clearance? Is that yours gimpyrobb?
That mess has bounced around southern CA for several years. Don't know if anyone has actually driven it though. If you really look it has 10 bolts under it.:shock:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would LOVE to wheel that rig! I bet the truck would end up on its frame rails in under 20min.

I bet it would be harder to roll than mine too. :gimp2:

m37dsl

Progress

Gave up on the stock alternators and picked up this 22si 24 volt 70 amp modern unit. Im sure you can buy the correct pulley but i just bored the stock one from 5/8" out to 7/8". Rotated rear housing 180 degrees and utilizing a stock bracket off a parts motor (for the rear support) was able to mount this in under 20 minutes with a couple of bolts and a simple spacer. Not as fancy as the kit but it works.

Rebuilt all 6 wheel cylinders and started replacing rubber lines. Hope to work on the master cylinder and air pack soon and have brakes!

Attachments