• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

did a search, but couldnt find an answer

BigGriz86

Hey all, i havent been around for quite a while, love the new look ;)

Anyway, on topic, I cant remember if its in my sig, but i proudly own a 1986 M1009 Blazer, 6.2L/TH400/NP208/10b F&R with 3.08 gears, that gets 15/22 mpg, and currently has B20 bio in the tank :)

Just like everyone else ive got a whole laundry list of mods i want to do, and included in those was a swap to H1 style beadlocks. Well, i just picked up a complete set of four for $97 (metal parts only, no mag runflat or beadlock inserts), and was happy as a pig in..... .mud, until i heard some disturbing things about them.

So heres the questions, the H1 rims i have are the 8 bolt versions.

1. Are these only compatible with the 36in bias ply tires, or can i run 37in radials?
2. Are these DOT approved??? ill check for the stamp when i get home.
3. Are these limited to 30psi on the high side??? i normally run 40psi on the highway for the best mileage, so it would be a bummer to have to run 30psi, though certainly not the end of the world.
4. Does anyone know what the max loading is for these rims??

I live just south of D.C., so i have to drive the truck to and from my playgrounds down near JMU. So being able to drive on the highway is of critical importance.

I will be swapping to 1 ton front and rear axles from a dually truck to fit these rims under my blazer without using wheel spacers. D60/14bff most likely.

THanks for any and all help.

Boner

H1 rims w/ beadlocks

2 piece beadlock rims are not DOT approved. You can use them on private property or on public off-road trails, but not on public roads or highways. The only kind of beadlock that is DOT approved, is a one-piece. Find some one-piecers or haul your two-piecers to the trails on a trailer, OR just cross your fingers and hope no law enforcment types notice. Hope this helps.:|

Last edited:

BigGriz86

well crap, thats bad news. the main reason i had factored on the H1 Beadlocks was i knew of many who ran them on the highway to and from the trails, and therefore assumed it was ok. Matching with the spirit of the new forum rules, i certainly dont condone doing things against the law just because, so id like my rig to be fully complaint and ticket proof.

crap crap crap.... and i thought i got such a good deal on these things too.

grounded

Banned
yea they "technically" aint street legal. but the last thing usually the cop is looking for is your rim stamping. IF he is you probly done did something you are not supposed to do. Not tossing anything in the fire or trying to start anything but we been driving our trucks on 2 piece beadlocks for years. I dont use H1 rims but im actually running stazworks.

BigGriz86

ok, i thought they had a DOT stamp, ill have to double check the ones in the bed of the truck to be sure. And it does appear that these rims have a PSI limit of 30, again, not a huge problem, just a bit of a dissapointment from a fuel mileage standpoint. Guess i just need to look into bias ply tires a bit more. I had been planning on running the military spec 37s, but i suppose the 36s would be fine for what im doing anyway. with only 4in of lift, i suppose it would even save me needing to do any trimming.

Jetnoise400

The 8 bolt HMMWV wheels are for the bias ply tires only, and the 12 bolt units are for radials. According to all the TMs, it is unsafe to run radials on the 8 bolt wheels.

Hope that helps.

Boner

"2 piece" wheels...

Guess I should just throw out all my 8 and 12 bolt 2 piece DOT stamped Humvee wheels then....???

"2 piece" has 2 meanings here.
I was thinking about the "beadlock" wheels that use a detachable ring on the outside of the rim.
I think you, and maybe even the poster of this thread, were referring to a wheel that is connected in the center, by "2 pieces", 2 half pieces put together, to make a whole rim- not the bolt on ring that holds tire beads on rock-crawlers.

bout to finish a cucv, and would like to put on rims off an H1 to get more out of my 3-speed on the highway.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I read down through the main page, I come across this thread title and skip it because it does not describe what the thread is about. Today, I finally read it to see what it was about. When somebody searches for dot rims, they will also notice an odd title and probably do the same.

Think about the title before you post it. Do not title or start threads with" I did a search". It is useless.

"2 piece" has 2 meanings here.
I was thinking about the "beadlock" wheels that use a detachable ring on the outside of the rim.
I think you, and maybe even the poster of this thread, were referring to a wheel that is connected in the center, by "2 pieces", 2 half pieces put together, to make a whole rim- not the bolt on ring that holds tire beads on rock-crawlers.

bout to finish a cucv, and would like to put on rims off an H1 to get more out of my 3-speed on the highway.

I don't think that it is the case at all...he said H1 8 bolt rims...pretty clear.

Make sure you do your research on backspacing before you guy buy a set...or know how to recenter wheels.

As mentioned-8 bolts are bias ply and 12 bolts are radial-do not mix them and make sure you run the proper internal lubricant if you run the full runflat assembly.

Boner

I don't think that it is the case at all...he said H1 8 bolt rims...pretty clear.

Make sure you do your research on backspacing before you guy buy a set...or know how to recenter wheels.

As mentioned-8 bolts are bias ply and 12 bolts are radial-do not mix them and make sure you run the proper internal lubricant if you run the full runflat assembly.
I've seen 8 bolt rims on H1's with beadlocks that are illegal. I also know you can buy a set of aftermarket and legal "1-piece" wheels.

What type of beadlock system are we talking about now?:|

And thanks for tips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks