• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did I use the wrong coolant?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think my biggest concern would be the cast iron block corroding more quickly with OAT than it would with IAT. I know when I drained out the old green IAT coolant, it was 100% clean which was amazing to me. There wasn't a single flake of rust or crud that came out even though the truck has been sitting unused in a field for at least a year and probably longer. I guess when I drain this new Prestone stuff, I will see if anything comes out after being in there for a few weeks now.
That is a lot like DOT3 vs DOT5. For more than a hundred years, the old stuff worked just fine. Somebody felt the need to fix something, so they did. Is the new stuff better? Well, technically yes. But it was just fine before it was fixed. Anti-Freeze is the same way. The old green stuff did the job just fine for MORE than a hundred years. (Charles Adolph Wurtz first synthesized ethylene glycol in 1856.) Somebody just had to fix it. Is it better?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have changed a ton of aluminum that the "old green stuff" chewed up, then they got a handle on that, the DOT 3 stuff turned to crap after they would not let us slaughter any more whales, the "synthesized" stuff attracts moisture and then combines with it to produce an acid, REALLY bad for vehicles that sit in the pasture for many years, so progress is not always a conspiracy, although it DOES happen..

diesel_dave

I do not know what borates are, but the second product in post #11 is not listed as borate free. The first one is.
In the article I linked it says this:

"Borate is an additive that reduces acidity (pH) in inorganic coolants. You would find this additive in many IAT coolants, but not so many OAT or HOAT coolants. It’s because many OAT and HOAT coolants have to maintain a different pH. The presence of borate would throw the pH balance out of whack."

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought BOTH of the examples in #11 were OAT?? according to post #13, unless the reference was for the second example

Action

In the article I linked it says this:

"Borate is an additive that reduces acidity (pH) in inorganic coolants. You would find this additive in many IAT coolants, but not so many OAT or HOAT coolants. It’s because many OAT and HOAT coolants have to maintain a different pH. The presence of borate would throw the pH balance out of whack."
Thats confusing because the 2nd item in post #11 in OAT compatible but does not state borate free, as the other item does.

diesel_dave

I thought BOTH of the examples in #11 were OAT?? according to post #13, unless the reference was for the second example
You are correct, they are both OAT-based coolants (yes, it is confusing as hell). Whether that is a good thing, bad thing or neutral thing, is still unclear to me. After doing much research today, there seems to be about a million variables that determine the best coolant for any given cooling system. That being said, I am starting to believe that what I used maybe isn't the best that I could have used, but probably isn't going to cause any kind of catastrophic damage like I was worried about.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm by no means an expert but I think the issue is the anti-corrosion additives that are used. Old green coolant used silicates where the Dex-cool stuff used a completely different compound that many believe attacked plastic, silicone seals, etc.
Does attack rubber. Especially bad for those engines with wet liners.

diesel_dave

Walmart green cheap stuff. KISS
I think this is the way I am going to end up going. I don't particularly want/need the longer lifetime of the more "fancy" coolants because I believe flushing and replacing coolant every 2-3 years is best for longevity of the cooling system. Plus, the old green stuff has been in there for the last 16 years (probably replaced by the Marines a few times) and there isn't a single cooling system leak or any other issue to speak of so that seems like a pretty good testament to me.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh boy - perfect timing for me. I just change all hoses and was about to pour in the Prestone when I saw this thread. So now I am not so sure what to use.

Walmart green cheap stuff. KISS
There are a thousand products on the Sprawlmart web site. Got a link?

If you are referring to the Super-Tech brand, looks like it is a similar chemistry as Prestone?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Oh boy - perfect timing for me. I just change all hoses and was about to pour in the Prestone when I saw this thread. So now I am not so sure what to use.

There are a thousand products on the Sprawlmart web site. Got a link?

If you are referring to the Super-Tech brand, looks like it is a similar chemistry as Prestone?
Super tech Low silicate. They have a silicate free now I believe. I haven't bought any for over a year or two. I've got cases of the old stuff.

Attachments

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…OAT and that looks like it is what everyone in the future will be using for a long time, at least until someone wants to feel important and comes up with some scheme that OAT is the end of the word as we know it..

HOAT