• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did my MTVR belong to Ninjas?

MTVR

I googled the markings stenciled on my MTVR, and got multiple hits for the 2nd Marine Raider Special Operations Command at Camp Legune in North Carolina...

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes sense. I know that there are a LOT of 7 Tons at Camp Legune. I have photos of some of them.

I used the FOIA to get information on my truck. My 7 Ton was stationed in Camp Fuji, Japan. At least, that was its last station before returning to the USA. If anyone is interested I can create some instructions on how I did it. I received some maintenance records and shipping documents. And of course, it is free.

MTVR

I used the FOIA to get information on my truck. My 7 Ton was stationed in Camp Fuji, Japan. At least, that was its last station before returning to the USA. If anyone is interested I can create some instructions on how I did it. I received some maintenance records and shipping documents. And of course, it is free.
Wow.

That would be interesting. Fire away...

Last edited:

MTVR

That makes sense. I know that there are a LOT of 7 Tons at Camp Legune. I have photos of some of them.
Do you have pictures of my truck? The identification number stenciled on the tailgate and the sides of the nose are "598375".

Last edited:

halftrack

I'd like to know how you got that info. Please advise. Thank you.
All of our trucks (and equipment) in the Marines are identify by serial number and the UIC (unit identification code). That code translates to a Marine Unit. For instance, my unit's UIC was 514301 - 14th Marines, HQBTRY. The Marine Corps uses a Corps wide maintenance tracking system GCSS Marine Corps (Global Combat support System). This is basically the paper trail of the vehicle and stays with the life of the vehicle regardless what unit it may transfer to. If 1$ is spent on the vehicle, it is logged here along with PMs, LTI's, etc. It gives unit commanders and HQMC a snapshot of what is deadlined percentage wise per unit to see who is mission capable. Great tool when the information is UPDATED and MAINTAINED PROPERLY. Garbage in garbage out as the saying goes. The point of it is if you know someone with access to this system, then it can give you the complete history of this truck. However, and what I am not sure of, is whether or not when a truck leaves the MC inventory, do they just dump and purge the record of that particular truck. As far as the UIC is concern, that can change when a truck is transferred from Unit to Unit. However, I have a list of UICs and sometimes its on the WWW. If you have a particular UIC you want to find out what unit it is assigned to, just PM me.

Also, the Marines are not big on unique markings on the trucks and equipment other than what I mentioned above. You might find a one off every now and then, so don't expect a spray painted caricature showing it was used in the Makin Island raid or something.

halftrack

On another note. I get hit up occasionally for more maintenance manuals for the 7 tons which I don't mind. However, sad to say, what I posted in the TM section is all of what I had on disc/paper. I got the disc right before everything went to the maintenance laptops and the cloud crap.

MTVR

All of our trucks (and equipment) in the Marines are identify by serial number and the UIC (unit identification code). That code translates to a Marine Unit. For instance, my unit's UIC was 514301 - 14th Marines, HQBTRY.
That's about what I figured.

So my USMC serial number is the "598375", and my UIC is the "M20975", right?

MTVR

On another note. I get hit up occasionally for more maintenance manuals for the 7 tons which I don't mind. However, sad to say, what I posted in the TM section is all of what I had on disc/paper. I got the disc right before everything went to the maintenance laptops and the cloud crap.
God bless you! I just saw that and downloaded all 734 pages of it last night...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, the Marines are not big on unique markings on the trucks and equipment other than what I mentioned above. You might find a one off every now and then, so don't expect a spray painted caricature showing it was used in the Makin Island raid or something.
That's why I was hoping for something to add to my collection. Marine trucks are notoriously sterile when it comes to individual markings, but some do occasionally show up. I have examples of a few unique markings, most of which remain completely unexplained.

I also gather as many misspelled markings as I can find, like one on my M109 that says "Check batteries dayley" :)

Cheers

halftrack

That's why I was hoping for something to add to my collection. Marine trucks are notoriously sterile when it comes to individual markings, but some do occasionally show up. I have examples of a few unique markings, most of which remain completely unexplained.

I also gather as many misspelled markings as I can find, like one on my M109 that says "Check batteries dayley" :)

Cheers

Don't be surprised if you learn things are done like that out of sarcasm, to catch your eye for that reason. Tons of soldier/Marine humor out there that would only get a grin or a smile from those who know. Inside jokes, kinda like Blue Falcon.

MTVR

Don't be surprised if you learn things are done like that out of sarcasm, to catch your eye for that reason. Tons of soldier/Marine humor out there that would only get a grin or a smile from those who know. Inside jokes, kinda like Blue Falcon.
I am surprised at how many mis-spelled tattoos there are on military members. That's gotta suck...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, 8 years active Marine, 12 in the Reserves. ;)

I wondered if Dayley was someone in Motor T. "Check batteries, Dayley"

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks