• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did something dumb...

alphaseventwo

So... Yesterday I hit the start lever on my hmmwv while it was already running. I was goofing around driving off road in the dark of night with no lights on, and instead of turning the lights on, I hit the wrong lever and engaged the start lever for a few seconds. Now, of course, after turning the truck off once, it will not turn over anymore. Glow plug wait light comes on, good full charged batteries, grounding harness installed- just no crank, dead, nothing. Did I kill my pcb/eess box? Insight much appreciated. '89 6.2l hmmwv in otherwise good overall running condition.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wiggle the shifter or bypass the neutral start switch, as the NSS could be bad.
may also want to put the ignition switch wired back to stock to see if it’s the box you refer too.
one of the features of the start box “EESS” is starter lockout...so it’s possible something like you mentioned has occurred.
maybe disconnect the rear battery ground and let it sit for 5mins.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also try tapping the starter solenoid and starter with a hammer.

alphaseventwo

Yes, it did make a pretty awful noise, kind of a low rumbling, almost like the fans kicking on- not that they did- but along the lines of a growl.

Disconnecting the battery and waiting awhile didn't solve the problem.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Shouldn't go to START if it was running. Something not so "SMART in the BOX" IF it did engage we all know that's a bad condition IE starter pinion, flywheel, starter nose piece., another broken bolt?... UH-HO not sounding good. Anyway...............

Here's where a simple clip lead test wire is worth it's wait in gold...... Or the old HOT WIRE trick. This would be my on rig test.

Got to scoot or creep under to get at starter. Locate the big fat positive wire on the starter. (looking straight up) Clip one lead of test wire there. The other end of test wire briefly make contact to the starter solenoid control contact. Usually a small wire. ( to late here to dig up the wire number, sorry)

BE ready for a small spark and a good starter - batteries will engage and turn engine over... Scaring the poop out of one the first time done. NO worries. Good mechanics have a set-up with button to do this same procedure. BE SURE to have truck in STOP position. Follow all necessary braking / blocking, transmission in neutral for safety.

Should take two minutes to determine is it's the " BOX" or the starter. If starter checks out A-OK, dump the key-less thing, and question the 'BOX" thing.

Question ? what box and key-less thingie ?

Skip a day at the gym if starter is bad, CAMO

button 2.jpg On the cheap... Harbor freight.

jumper.jpg OR something like this one your can make really cheap.

Last edited:

alphaseventwo

The keyless thingy is just one of those key-fob RFID keyless ignition switches that I got on Flea-bay awhile back. I'm going to remove that and return to stock for testing/troubleshooting ignition. I do not know which EESS box I have as of yet- working on it tonite- will update. Thanks for the help!

Action

The keyless thingy is just one of those key-fob RFID keyless ignition switches that I got on Flea-bay awhile back. I'm going to remove that and return to stock for testing/troubleshooting ignition. I do not know which EESS box I have as of yet- working on it tonite- will update. Thanks for the help!
You should be able to just look under the dash and see the label. Or hold your phone under there and take a pic.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Understandably (well sort of)) one may want all the convince of a Bimmer with Bling on the Humv. I don't know if these type of add on's are worth the convenience when paired to the Humv. More to factor in not knowing the quality of product, ratings for 24 Volt systems, etc. Going back to square one is the best starting point. Then the TM's will apply with the "Bling Thing" out of the equation.

Simple truck with simple needs IMO. Did the motorpool Sgt. OK this? LOL.

No judgement and customizing is our thing too, CAMO

alphaseventwo

I agree with you- all too often I have seen completely over-accessorized trucks (not just hmmwvs either). Mine is actually really stock. original seats, same military tires, and a Vic-1 com. setup. Aside from upgrading the grounding harness, headlights, and adding optima batteries- I've pretty much left the truck alone. NO 12v auxiliary power, led disco lights, stereo, leather seats, power bong, ect. ect.. To each his own, but there is something really great to me to just be able to see the original truck that our soldiers got to work with back in '89. I personally love the look on Jeep guys faces when they see just what it is they are trying to replicate with thousands of dollars of add-ons- roll past them when I'm out on the road. However, I digress- the rfid key fob add-on was for security and nothing more. Every time I'd walk away from the truck somewhere I'd come back to people milling around looking at it- which is flattering and all, but I feel better knowing nobody can just "jump in and go" now. Perhaps a standard hidden killswitch would be better for the overall electrical system...

IMG_2959.jpg

Last edited:

alphaseventwo

Understandably (well sort of)) one may want all the convince of a Bimmer with Bling on the Humv. I don't know if these type of add on's are worth the convenience when paired to the Humv. More to factor in not knowing the quality of product, ratings for 24 Volt systems, etc. Going back to square one is the best starting point. Then the TM's will apply with the "Bling Thing" out of the equation.

Simple truck with simple needs IMO. Did the motorpool Sgt. OK this? LOL.

No judgement and customizing is our thing too, CAMO
STATUS UPDATE- Removed the keyless killswitch and rewired to stock0=- HMMWV OPERATIONAL. Thanks for the extra brain power!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks