• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the M37 ever come in a tanker configuration?

M-37Bruce

I have tracked several deuce tankers, and they went well beyond what the other deuces I bout sold for. But, I have to admit I did not think about just asking if any one has a take off tank. I was hoping to someday afford a deuce with the pump and tank still intact. I am sure shipping the tank will be an issue.
Are you following local/near you GL auctions?

Lonesome715

No, I had to stop. We bought too many dueces. But I was tracking a couple of tankers during the last go around and they went way too high. It was a shame becuase they were not far from the house at all.

saddamsnightmare

MArch 7th, 2009.

Gentlemen:

No intent to start a firestorm here, but given the rarety of unmutilated M37's and their original small capacity in the design, would it not be more logical to either: A: Buy a deuce and fit the ag tank in the bed via a skid mouting (Deuces seem to be going for as little as $1200.00 bucks on GL depending on location & condition) or look around for a F6 ,F7, or F8 farm truck, I bought a 1951 Ford F6 dump which ran, with about 50,000 original miles for $1200.00... The bed worked, most of the truck was very solid, and it did whatever I needed, it just would not go fast... kinda like a deuce.:?:
If your pockets that light, do bear in mind, IF you can find a M37 in running shape, it's still gonna be a 50 year old truck, with a fifty year old truck's mainetnance needs and fragility. I have a 1963 Swiss Army S404.114 Unimog, they cost more then an M37, but they have excellent mobility and a 1-1/2 ton capacity. They make our ton and ton and a half trucks look pretty much incapable, they just wont go over 35-40 normally if you want to keep the transmission in, and they have an 80 HP engine, so you will climb long hills SLOW:razz:
If I was gonna build an off road or farm work truck, I would look hard at the S404.114's Unimogs, as they were built for such odd jobs, and they are very adaptable.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:

Actually, compared to what a solid M37 or a newer Unimog goes for, the S.404.114's seem to be fairly common, parts are a little higher, but with care, the Unimog's will likely outlast many other vehicles. Having driven M37 and the radio truck variants, M715's,M422-A1's and my M35A2, the Unimog seems to run and run and run.... the deuce does when it feels like i(see cold weather starting problem.... something electrical is tripping her up),, they are both daily drivers.... and a 1-1/2 ton truck (on or off road) would have a better chance of surviving use as a tanker. Another thought, why not just tow a converted water buffaloor M105A trailer with the body off and an AG tank added behind whatever truck you do have?

Cheers!

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran deuce.
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen Set APU.

Last edited:

Lonesome715

The idea of using a M37 mostly came from the thought of a very small tanker being used for now. Plus, as I have said before, I would never cut up nor alter a running M37 in good shape. I was thinking IF I were to locate a non running M37 with no engine and a rough body it may be a good platform. Plus, this would be something I could biuld slowly over time. It was just a thought, I am not saying I am going to do it but this idea could lead to better ones. I did recieve some fine suggestions that I am going to be looking into.

m376x6

Yep, I'd jump right in the middle of a Unimog, they're incredibly cheap to purchase and the parts are a penny on the dollar. :roll: There are still plenty of M37's out there. In all kinds of condition. Get what you think will be fun and interesting for your needs. For Pete's sake, you're just going into town to pick up some fuel.

Regards,
M376X6

Skip

m37 taker

If I was you I would find the best M37 truck I could afford and just make the tanker. I would do the best job I could and try to make it look as military as I could. When I was in the Navy we would often modify equipment to meet the task at had. :grd:

M-37Bruce

Navy Tanker

If I was you I would find the best M37 truck I could afford and just make the tanker. I would do the best job I could and try to make it look as military as I could. When I was in the Navy we would often modify equipment to meet the task at had. :grd:
Good Advice...........where is Alexander, Maine, I was stationed @ Bucks Harbor for 11 months?
BTW, My Dodge was in the Navy!

Lonesome715

I am starting to lean towards that idea. If I can locate a take off tank on here for a resonable price, I will go with it. Or, I could just buy a Unimog for less. ;-)

citizensoldier

You can pick up GSA forest service deuce with a tank on them for real cheap compared to a stock water or fuel model deuce. They sell for way to much IMHO. . Something else to consider is a bobbed deuce and mount a tank on the back? I have a 400 gallon alluminum tank in Ga I might sell you for a good price. PM me if interested. I mention bobbing it because it will be easier to get around and turn tighter then sell the back axle for some of your money back.

Lonesome715

Buying a duece, a tank, then bobbing it sounds like it would cost more than just getting one already in a tanker comfiguation. Correct me if I am wrong, I have not taken on a project like that before so I do not know. However, it is an interesting thought. If I knew I could get a deuce at a good price I would make a serious offer for your tank. I am not sure when I can get a suitable deuce though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks