• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the M37 ever come in a tanker configuration?

crazyplowboy

By the time you spend all the money to fix the M37 when the weight of the liquid breaks the frame, transmission, bearings and countless other parts of the poor truck, you might as well just spend the money on a bigger truck that is up to the task. 2cents

Elwenil

Not much if you put it on a M37. 240 gallons of fresh water weighs right at 1 ton (2000 lbs). That's way more than what M37 is rated to handle. I don't think I would like to drive one carrying more than three loaded 55 gallon drums in the back which would be 165 Gal, getting close to the 3/4 ton rating and more than enough sloshing, unbaffled liquid moving around to make me nervous. 165 gallons really isn't that much water in terms of needing it for a job but it's a hell of a lot of weight for a truck to handle, especially one built in the 50s. When I worked at the Dodge dealership here in town, a local Volunteer Fire Dept brought in their '77 Dodge W300 dually mini pumper because the axle seals were leaking and no one could fix it. Turns out they had bent the D70 housing loading too much water in it fighting a brush fire. I don't know what the capacity of that truck was, but it wasn't anything large or extravagant. They refused to replace the housing a later snapped an axle shaft right at the flange and traded it to a chassis company for a Ford Super Duty mini pumper than I was told had a much smaller tank.

Another thought has crossed my mind and that is why you need a military truck for this? You seem to want to put a clear agricultural tank on the back, so it is not going to look military. You also say you don't have the cash for a Deuce tanker which the ex-fire trucks seem to sell on GSA for cheaper than you can buy a M37 off ebay most of the time. So why not just buy a civilian dually or 2 ton truck? Around here you can buy an old Ford F600 for next to nothing and it would definitely be a better platform for this project in my mind. Why cut up a piece of restorable military history to make something that is going to be inferior to cheaper and easier alternatives? Just my .02

Lonesome715

My original thought was to locate a M37 tanker if they existed. I figured if they came with a dump bed Maybe they came with a tank as well. I know it was a shot in the dark, but it does not hurt to ask. Plus, I never said I would cut one up. I would never do that. I am mostly looking for an alternative to the deuce I cannot afford. I do not know what a worn out M37 sells for. If I did this, I was hoping to locate one that is near death and unwanted. For what I am going to do, I do not need a large tanker just yet. I figured an old M37 with no drive train and in rough shape would be a good project and give this working truck a little style. I would prefer to locate a MV that was built as a small tanker. I want a MV for the same reasons every one else on here wants them.

m376x6

Weight per gallon of fuel depends on two things, temperature, and type of fuel. Gasoline is best calculated using a good average of 6.25 pounds per gallon. Diesel is averaged at 7.25 pounds per gallon. Another factor would be the terrain you plan on running the M37 over. Cross country which means no roads and mountainous terrain and I would limit your weight at the off road rating of the M37 which is 1,500 pounds. I have loaded them well past 2,500 pounds with logs and climbed in and out of steep mountain sides. Center of gravity and carrying something that would BBQ you and your passengers and a lot of folks nearby if it tipped the truck over is another story to read twice. Roads; dirt and otherwise, and the M37 is actually rated at 1 ton. Factor in the weight of the tank you're going to use in the truck. Condition of the tires and the condition of the brakes and truck in general also play a factor. I have a steel tank that was purpose built for the M37 by the Forrest Service for wildfire use. I would estimate that it is between 250 and 300 gallons. It sat almost even with the to of the bed and had recesses for the wheel wells. One of those poly tanks in the 250 gallon capacity that can be securely bolted to the floor of the bed might work nicely. Keep in mind placarding might/would be an issue if you were stopped while using the truck on public roads carrying 250 gallons of fuel. There won't be anything quite like the excitement you're going to experience coming down the side of a steep mountain with no brakes carry 250 gallons of fresh gasoline and knowing that very soon you're going to be abruptly stopped by boulders and trees. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end. Best of luck. :twisted:

Regards,
M376X6

citizensoldier

Very well put M376x6. I was also going to mention the rating on these trucks. Its rated at 3/4 ton in extreme off road situations.. So on a nice road you can double that. I have been amazed at what they can hold compared to newer vehicles with the same rating. Buy a deuce they are cheaper and get a couple of the fuel cell pods for the back. :-D

Lonesome715

If I were to do this with an M37 the only driving I would do is into town to pick up the fuel, then back home. That is it. The tank on the truck will then be use to store the fuel. Once it is empty, back to town I go. That is the same plan I had if I got a deuce tanker. The only difference is fewer trips. Again, this is only an idea. I thought using an old forgotten M37 would add a cool factor. Plus, I would be reviving and old MV. Even used in the way I mentioned is better than it rotting away.

N1265

I see nothing wrong with your plan, paint the tank green like the truck and letter it to look like an original military tank, Then put the whole shebang in a parade !

Remember, many MVs were altered at their units to preform diffrent missions. They don't all look like they did when they rolled off the line.

Farmers around here get impliment tanks at places like Tractor Supply and put them in the back of their Chevy 3/4 ton trucks without any problems.....

Just do the math on the weight and make sure the tires and brakes are in good shape.

Skip

M37 tanker

Look don't let anyone talk you out of trying to build what you want. If you try and fail at least you will learn something. Who knows it might even work, I am thinking about making one of mine a log truck.
This is some modifications I would make. Up grade the suspension, box the frame, and make it the dually.:-D

Capt.Marion

Your variable is going to be the tires. The frame on the M37 will handle up to 1.5 tons. I know that it will accelerate up to and hold highway speeds with over 1 ton in the bed.

A dually configuration would probably be the way to go if you're worried about that. And different tires from the 9.00s, maybe 11.00s or something?

pwrwagonfire

How about a Water Buffalo tank?

Some fire department somewhere MUST have done this before! Maybe some pictures can be dreged up somewhere...I think its a neat idea anyhow

Ive heard that the 200 gallons which we have mounted on both our '64 WM300 Power Wagons is way too much. Im not sure EXACTLY how close this is to an M37, but I know its for the most part the same truck. Very easy to twist the rear axle out of it with a full 200 gallons, correct?

Last edited:

Lonesome715

If I can pick up a worn out M37 with no engine for a reasonable price. I think I can biuld it to not only look nice, but perfrom well on a small budget. I am thinking maybe a four cylinder Detroit to move it along.

for on site fuel unit it would work great.

how far do you need to go for refilling the tank?

I think a plastic ag tank at a fuel station would attract attention from a lot of folks.

you would want to use a container approved for fuel for safety sake.

but as far as the truck holding the weight-- i have put more on mine than a modern one ton would like and then back it in the trench-unload some stone and then pull back out.

thats one reason i have tire chains on all 4.

plus the chains help pull it over downed trees and such.

maybe my ole whitey is an exception but it's one tough truck.

Lonesome715

For what I have in mind, this will be a under worked truck. If anything, it will have a very easy life. I am not going to be driving it down fire lanes to refuel a cabin in the woods. I think with a little thought and propper planning, I can even make it look as though it was biult that way originally. But, I do agree that a project like this can start to add up. If I had the money all at one time, I would simply buy a deuce. But somehting like this can be spread out for a little while and that will give me the time I need to locate a good deals. I will say up front, I would rather buy a deuce tanker and be done with it. But I do not see them dropping in price any time soon.

JDToumanian

Why not just buy a regular cargo deuce and put an ag tank in the back? ...Because your basic premise - that an M37 can be had cheaper than a deuce - is incorrect. An M35 is by far the most affordable American military vehicle, period. They are so plentiful that they get sold for the price of scrap and cut up. Even deuce tankers go cheap... CitizenSoldier bought a tanker, ditched the tank and put a cargo body on it. Maybe he still has the tank? Bjorn did the same thing, scrapped a tank body when he built the Cranetruck. Keep looking. Patience and vigilance!

Regards,
Jon

Lonesome715

I have tracked several deuce tankers, and they went well beyond what the other deuces I bout sold for. But, I have to admit I did not think about just asking if any one has a take off tank. I was hoping to someday afford a deuce with the pump and tank still intact. I am sure shipping the tank will be an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks