• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did they ever make an Armored Cab upgrade package for M939 series cabs? (I.E. M923A2)

beltfed1934

This may have been covered already, but is there an up-armored package made for the 5-ton cab? I've seen some 5-ton trainers made to look like MRAPs but i've never seen a military-issued cab protection kit. I know there is a company making survivalist armored trucks, but did the military ever uparmor a 5-ton?

TIA,
Austin in Texas!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

The rebuild facility at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, did some prototyping of up armored 900 series 5 tons and some of them are still there but are slated to end up on the tank range as targets.
Your tax dollars at work.:roll:

ke5eua

This may have been covered already, but is there an up-armored package made for the 5-ton cab? I've seen some 5-ton trainers made to look like MRAPs but i've never seen a military-issued cab protection kit. I know there is a company making survivalist armored trucks, but did the military ever uparmor a 5-ton?

TIA,
Austin in Texas!
Yep, we had several 931, a couple 934s, but yeah they made a complete kit for it with the a/c

Reckless

I am in the process of installing an up armor kit with glass that I assume slipped through the cracks many moons ago.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Austin, there are a bunch of up-armoured 939 series trucks at Hooks, slowly becoming one with nature. They are not pretty, but do look cool. Wish we could have some. :(

Cheers

Csm Davis

Don't know how or why it added pictures but it did. That is a 932a1p I believe the p is for uparmored. There were a uparmored version of all the models of 939 I believe this includes the A0, A1, and A2. I have seen cargos, dumps, tractors, and wreckers. There was 3 basic armored cabs the hillbilly or redneck armor, which is whatever the troops could find to throw on, then kits that were put on at the unit level which is what most on here have, and finally the square cab that was done by a manufacturer or depo. The last one has a different NSN and is not supposed to be sold, although I think a few have gotten out.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The first ones came out in the 90's and was all add on "Bosnian" armor923ar1.jpg 923ar.jpg 923ar2.jpg 923ar3.jpg 923ar4.jpg 923ar7.jpg 923ar8.jpg 923ar5.jpg 923ar10.jpg it had the worst seats I have ever sat in. Wheel well armor and 2 large pieces that went under the hood, four aluminum armor pieces that went on the floor. The batteries were moved to a pull out box that mounted on top of the BII box on the cargo trucks, kit was steel except for window frames armo 004.jpg doors, floors and seats.

Csm Davis

Yes those are the kits and there were some variations but the worst part of those was gaps and no roof armor.
I personally think it is a better armored job because at 50 feet and moving you can't tell it's armored. But the gaps and roof need armor, the boxy cab just screams get a bigger gun or AP rounds.

insas

Every 5 ton I drove while I was in had an armored cab. The nicest one was the one we turned in our lmtvs to get for the IZ, it had a factoryrmored cab, A/c, lockers, and a TON of power. It had no problem breaking the rear 4 tires loose and doing cookies in gravel or doing 82 mph fully loaded on rt 1. It had a different m number, I can't remember what, maybe I can find an old pmcs sheet that has it or something... I'd LOVE to have that truck back....

Icm guessing we just don't see them because the addition of defensive armor makes them mindless killing machines if they fall into the hands of hapless American citizens! -which is odd, given that we bought and built them to begin with....

kennys@wi.rr.com

MW, thank you so much for posting those pictures. I just got my hands on almost all of the armor for this kit. I pulled what was available out of the cab of another truck. Now that I see where some of the small pieces go I'm sure glad I grabbed everything that looked like it belonged. I have one square piece I'm still not sure where it goes and I don't have the doors, they were pulled, the back plates or the wheel well plates. Guess I will have some minor fab work to do if I want all the pieces there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks