• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel additive

Bill W

I like Stanadyne Jr ( not the performance formula). Early diesels ( thru 1995) were designed to run with the higher sulfer fuel which provided more lubricicity then todays ultra low sulfer fuels. I also like Diesel Kleen by Power Service which is also a great fuel stabilizer/conditioner but in my opinion Stanadyne has more lubricating properties. I even use it in my 2000 power stroke. Heres a link to a good aticle/test on additives.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone posted a link to a study a while back. Well documented and believe it or not, biodiesel was hands down the bestat adding lubricity. I'd either run or use bio as a supplement.

Bill W

Yeah Kenny the link I posted states the same thing, its ( biodiesel ) also great for cleaning out the fuel system.

THEROAD

Power Service Additives

I use Power Service in the white bottle with every fill-up in all my diesel motors. Older motors need added lubricity for the injector pumps. Like my 3208Cats in the boat. When ever I pick up a Deuce I always add a bottle of 911, Red bottle. Bio-diesel does agreat job, but be careful with old motor with old fuel tanks. Bio-diesel is a fantastic cleaner. It will clean you old tank and put the junk into your filters. Use Bio carry lots of extra filter for a while. This is a huge problem on boats where the tanks are 300-1000 gallors. After 20 years or so they have lots of crud in the bottoms.

m4A1

RE: Power Service Additives

I use cheap 2-cycle oil, about 8oz per 15 gal. It cost just al little over $1 per fill-up(I fill-up at 1/4 tank). I do use diesel kleen about twice a year.

dittle

My dad and I both use ATF in the fuel tanks of our diesel trucks (mine is a Powerstroke, his is a Freightliner w/ Cat). His last truck went 900,000+ miles before he had to change out injectors which according to some sources are only guaranteed for 100,000 miles. I had 2 go out on my Powerstroke back in August and a month later had 2 more acting up. Put 1/2 quart in the tank and the injectors haven't acted up since. 2cents

tracy

bio=great lube but will clog filters quick
atf= oh no, friction modifiers,the reason your bands dont slip!
diesel kleen=run only the stated amount,the solvents cancel lube properties
marvel mystery oil=omg pure solvent,only put that in your enemies tank
sea foam=forget it its only alchohol
30wt non detergent motor oil=lubes pretty good
2 stroke tcw3(ashless) 1 ounce per gal. diesel will get you the closest to the old sulpher diesel and will net you a little better milage

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR

Thanks on the Marvel post , I havent used it in the tank but I put some under the hood.

I use Diesel Kleen/silver bottle - half bottle to full 50 gallon no.2 Diesel tank , then the Disel Kleen white bottle the same way.

AJMBLAZER

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234862

I'm using the ACES II diesel fuel treatment that 4by4bygod over on CK5 sells. CK5'ers get a discount and his products all get good reviews. I couldn't find locally any of the well reviewed "big name" diesel additives so I ordered his stuff from him. Liking it so far but have only been using it for two tanks now.

dependable

A local fuel supplyer offered B-20 . 20% veggy oil,80% diesel,,Ran my trucks on this for over a year untill they stopped selling due to big price increase. The biofuel adds lubrication to the fuel. It will seem to clog filters because it flushes sludge out of the system. Once you have relaced your primary filter once or twice , your fuel system will be cleaner than ever. On some older diesels, the rubber seals are not compatable with the biodiesel and will detiriorate.I have had no problems running B-20 in 6,2s

jatonka

I would like to know how Tracy knows Marvel Mystery oil is"pure solvent". It was an additive I was taught to use by a true mechanical genius when I was 15 and expecting to set the world on fire as an aircraft/race car mechanic. I have used it since then in the crankcase and fuel tank of my gas and diesel powered vehicles and construction equipment. I am 57 now, that figures to 42 years. I have lost 3 engines in all those years, all used by others previously. One due to me letting rain get in exhaust stack for too long, second to my driver filling up with kerosene in a tenwheeler dump that wasn't too good to start with and it was about 90 degrees to boot and the third cause I was stupid and left water in another ten wheeler engne and it went down to 22 degrees that night. pop. If there is scientific published evidence that Marvel Mystery oil is no good for diesel injection systems and diesel engine oil crankcases, I will reconsider. If not, I will stick with MMO and Power Service in the white bottle. I have never gelled up or lost an injector pump either. Some guys are a lot smarter than me, but I've been doing it an awful long time and I have had to pay for every piece of equipment I have ever owned all by my self. John T

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Power Service Additives

tracy said:
bio=great lube but will clog filters quick
atf= oh no, friction modifiers,the reason your bands dont slip!
diesel kleen=run only the stated amount,the solvents cancel lube properties
marvel mystery oil=omg pure solvent,only put that in your enemies tank
sea foam=forget it its only alchohol
30wt non detergent motor oil=lubes pretty good
2 stroke tcw3(ashless) 1 ounce per gal. diesel will get you the closest to the old sulpher diesel and will net you a little better milage
Care to verify some of your claims?

THEROAD

RE: Re: RE: Power Service Additives

MSDS for SeaFoam
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%
That makes tracy 10-20% right IPA is Isopropalcohol; but then he is 80-90% wrong.
I looked up the MSDS for Marvel. Tracy is pretty muck about Marvel Mineral Spirits, napthalene, Chloro- hydrocarbons. I never used the stuff and after reading the MSDS I sure am glad.
I don't know if this makes all tracy's statments all wrong; but at least suspect.
One thing that does make some sense. The 2 cycle lube oil. If it works in outboards to keep them from blowing a rod maybe an old diesel injector pump would like it too. Small amounts of biodiesel work very good and will not cause filter clogging. Something on the order of one quart per 50 gallons of diesel; but are the old seals in the Deuce motor compatible with bio? I know the seals in my 1984 3208 Cats are not.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Power Service Additives

I put fresh, store bought veggie oil in with the diesel, it's near neutral, not acid like WVO and won't harm your seals....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Power Service Additives

cranetruck said:
I put fresh, store bought veggie oil in with the diesel, it's near neutral, not acid like WVO and won't harm your seals....
Does that mean I can buy 5-gallon cans of peanut oil at Sam's Club?

Probably not since my trucks would smell like a former peanut farmer President.........