• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel additives

rustystud

Many of the oil companies had to remove all the ZDDP from their oils so they could start using their new friction modifiers. Like I said the ZDDP and the newer friction modifiers don't play well together. You may have gone through this rodeo before, just as I have, but you also need to stay up to date. As of now I own and run on a regular basis 11 engines with flat tappet lifters, both gas and diesel. I have experienced no camshaft wear while using off the shelf oils, and I am not using any additive. The PSI figure came from a wear bar test. I'm not a big fan of that test, but thought it deserved some merit. I do watch YouTube sometimes, but only for a laugh. I've had the reps from Valvoline and Mobil on the phone more than a few times. That's where I've received alot of my info from. Also the fact that you are responding to my posts with anger only means that you feel that my posts contain information that has merit. Though you may not agree with it.
Again I ask you, where is the documentation ? The anger I have is all this BAD information your spouting off ! I don't want others who don't know better to take this information as gospel. You can say the moon is made up of green cheese and ham but it doesn't make it so. Show use in writing all this information you keep saying ! It must be out there if these "reps" you say talk with you.

Last edited:
That bit about the friction modifiers not playing well together came from the Mobil rep I talked to and I had to pretty much trick him into telling me that. I don't think I could ever get them to write something like that down on paper. They seem to be pretty hush-hush about their stuff.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

For those that really want to dive into oil chemistry and the latest info on oil tests, vehicle and engine specific recommendations etc. I would suggest going over to a forum dedicated to such discussions. Its been a while since I used it but one that I know of that has a WEALTH of information is:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I used to follow the BITOG forum threads religiously until my head started hurting from all the information. Now I just buy good oil and don't lose any sleep over it. Anyway, loads of good info there but don't be surprised if there are disagreements and contradictions in some of the voodoo oil chemistry at play.

For those that really want to dive into oil chemistry and the latest info on oil tests, vehicle and engine specific recommendations etc. I would suggest going over to a forum dedicated to such discussions. Its been a while since I used it but one that I know of that has a WEALTH of information is:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I used to follow the BITOG forum threads religiously until my head started hurting from all the information. Now I just buy good oil and don't lose any sleep over it. Anyway, loads of good info there but don't be surprised if there are disagreements and contradictions in some of the voodoo oil chemistry at play.
I have read through some of that site before, and I did suffer from the same headaches. Although I have not been on that site in a while.

At this point since I don't have anything on paper to prove my points I will just have to post my experiences. I own 11 flat tappet engines, 7 diesel and 4 gas. They are all as old or older than I am. I use conventional oils in some synthetics in others. These are all off the shelf oils, and I don't use any additive not even in the two performance engines I have. So far I have not seen any camshaft wear on any of my engines, and I have been running most of them for over 10 years like that. I just don't see the benifits of additives even if they did improve lubrication on some scale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks