• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel/Burnt Oil Smell from Exhaust

1stgear

My buddy's M1008 exhaust smells like most diesels would smell - that sweet diesel fuel smell. I am a little concerned about mine though. It has a diesel fuel/burnt oil smell. I am starting to wonder if I am burning oil. It smells like this if the engine is hot or cold. However, I don't have blue smoke or really any smoke for that matter. It also doesn't seem to be losing any oil.

Any ideas as to why my truck doesn't have that normal diesel smell?

CCATLETT1984

the CDR valve looks like a tuna can, and is on the passenger side of the engine, on a bracket from the intake. follow the hose that comes out of the oil filler tube, it will lead you to the CDR valve. Please see the other thread currently discussing CDR for part # info, as it seems that the original style part may have been discontinued.

1stgear

I installed my new CDR valve that I got from the stealership yesterday. Worked like a charm. No more burnt-oil smell. When I pulled the old one off it was clogged with the blackest oil I have ever seen. The engine runs much smoother now. This is the best fix I've made to the truck so far.

The parts guy that ordered it for me has been working at the dealership for over 30 years. He made note to tell me that he remembered a lot of issues with that particular part (the CDR valve).

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...you learn something new everyday. I have been calling the CDR valve a PCV valve since I bought my first M1009 years ago.