• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Fuel Additives/Conditioners - Good Stuff or Snake Oil

SMOKEWAGON66

If ULS Diesel is bad for the pump, what should be added to help maintain proper lube? oil? All i can get around here is ULS diesel. My new car runs it and was designed for it, but i never did consider it being bad for the deuce...

rlwm211

I would suggest reading this study. It has been posted before.

The issue is lubricity. Sulfur is not a lubricant. The process of removing the sulfur in diesel destroys the lubricity of lowe sulfur diesel fuel. Original fleet testing proved this with modern injector pumps being destroyed by the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel before they added a lubricity enhancer to the fuel.

I use 2 stroke outboard oil and Power Service. You can do whatever you think will help.

If you were to do a search for this topic there have been several since this thread was created back in 2006

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

I would suggest reading this study. It has been posted before...

...If you were to do a search for this topic there have been several since this thread was created back in 2006
It never even occurred to me until i saw this thread just now...it was at the top of the forum so i read it and replied.

rlwm211

No Criticism intended.

I was suggesting you find some of the other threads about this for further information on the subject. The more you know the better.

RL

rlwm211

I add 8 ounces of outboard oil to 10 gallons and whatever Power Service recommends per gallon.

edit....

I have run my deuce over 7K miles in the last 2.5 years without issue.

RL

Sasquatch

As far as gelling, the fuel distributors already mix #1 and #2 diesel, regionally, to prevent this. So unless it gets way below 0 F, you shouldn't have a problem-at least I haven't.
I know Rattlehead posted this years ago but it seems the thread has been resurrected.

One thing to consider is how much you usually drive your MV, even though they change the mix regionally, if you fill it up late summer and don't drive it much the summer fuel mix will be more likely to gel. So throw some antigel in at your late summer fill up if you don't plan to burn though the tank before the cold hits.

I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (White Bottle) in the winter, and Diesel-Kleen (Silver Bottle) or 2-stroke oil in the summer. The Diesel-Kleen will give you more of a cetane boost, and is a better performance additive as the Diesel Fuel Supplement is "watered down" with the antigel so less lubricity and cetane boost per bottle.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I add ATF to any of my diesel trucks especially when towing, you can feel a real difference. The only issue with running ATF is that if DOT stops you and wants to dip you tanks you gotta go thru the hassle of the offroad diesel crap. I have ran power service in the white bottle and did not have good results with it. Especially on the matter of the anti gel. I ran #1 diesel with the additive at 2x the recommended strength and it still gelled up. I have had excellent results running the blue bottle stanadyne and howe's conditioner. My F-250 that usually sets all winter from November till March gets the 911 added to the tanks even though I have fuel tank heaters on it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Dex 3. the cheap stuff. Its all the same. Just don't pay the high price for the merc 5 and crap. Not to sure about the old Type F fluid. But i dont see where it would hurt.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I put a gallon in my 5 ton when I filled it with like 60gallons when I bought it. I add 1 quart to each 20 gallon tank in my pickups. You aren't going to overkill it.

jstier

I run Total Power by FPPF in all my diesels.
It improves my Fuel mileage and a quart treat 250 gallons or you can mix a quart to 125 for cleaning injectors. I used to get it local truck shop, but they went out of business, so I have been getting online, just bought 6 quarts for around $70.00

Total Power is a combination of the technology of Fuel Power, Polar Power, Diesel Injector Cleaner, Cetane 8+, and includes a lubricity additive.

Total Power does the following:
  • Disperses water by hydrogen polar bonding
  • Cleans Injectors
  • Increases Cetane rating
  • Improves Lubricity
  • Stabilizes Fuel
  • Cleans/decarbonizes combustion chamber
  • Lowers Cold filter plug point
  • Contains Anti-Gel
  • Contains Fuel Power
  • Lowers CFPP
  • Contains anti-gel
  • Lowers pour point
  • Raises cetane
  • Meets L-10
  • Meets A.S.T.M. B.O.C.L.E.
  • Meets N-14
  • Contains No Alcohols
Jeff
Fort Wayne IN
1986 M923A1

Last edited:

plym49

I run Total Power by FPPF in all my diesels.
It improves my Fuel mileage and a quart treat 250 gallons or you can mix a quart to 125 for cleaning injectors. I used to get it local truck shop, but they went out of business, so I have been getting online, just bought 6 quarts for around $70.00

Total Power is a combination of the technology of Fuel Power, Polar Power, Diesel Injector Cleaner, Cetane 8+, and includes a lubricity additive.

Total Power does the following:
  • Disperses water by hydrogen polar bonding
  • Cleans Injectors
  • Increases Cetane rating
  • Improves Lubricity
  • Stabilizes Fuel
  • Cleans/decarbonizes combustion chamber
  • Lowers Cold filter plug point
  • Contains Anti-Gel
  • Contains Fuel Power
  • Lowers CFPP
  • Contains anti-gel
  • Lowers pour point
  • Raises cetane
  • Meets L-10
  • Meets A.S.T.M. B.O.C.L.E.
  • Meets N-14
  • Contains No Alcohols
Jeff
Fort Wayne IN
1986 M923A1
This is the same stuff my Deuce's PO swore by. I have continued to use it but I am about to run out. I'll get more, but in the mean time I added some 2 cycle oil.

wdbtchr

Before I found my M51A2 I had a 1968 International with a honkin' big diesel engine(I have no idea what engine it was). It would get cranky and start smoking, and an old timer me to remove the spin on fuel filter, dump the diesel, and fill it with ATF. That would clean it out and it wouldl run great for about a year then repeat.

As far as sulphur not being a lubricant, I'm sorry it is. We used to add micronized sulphur(milled to a really fine powder) to the fire resistant aircraft hydraulic flulid to increace lubrication factor. Interesting thing is even though it was synthetic we dislposed of waste or contaminated oil by burning. Go figure.

mikes47jeep

i use the cheap wally world 2 stroke oil last time i checked $12 for a gallon

i run at about a 40 or 50 to 1 mix

it seems to quiet down the rattles in the 6.2 quite a bit

then i add the power service (white bottle) just at a little anti-gel insurance in the winter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks