• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel fuel distribution and oil filtration system?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've now talked to both companies. The fuel filter companies product is in the $500 range. As their web site says, they expect about an 8 - 10% mpg jump plus increased hp and torque. With the cost of fuel doing nothing but going up, this looks like a good idea.

AND it comes in both 12v AND 24v. So no conversions there. They recommend you change the filters once a year (depending on milage) but the filters are $16 (water separation) and $25 (fuel). If you got ONE more MPG and fuel costs went up to $3.50 or more per gallon, would this be a worthwhile investment? I will run numbers to see how many miles it would take to make your money back.

Oh, and you remove your current filtration system and put this in it's place. Looks like it would fit right where our current fuel filters are. The only question he asked that I could not answer was THEIR filtration system requires a line back to the tank for return fuel. While I know we have a return fuel line, I don't know if it's connected to the fuel filters or not.

---

For the oil filtration system. The lady I spoke with took my name and number and said one of their technical people would get back with me when he could. As soon as he does, I'll get back with you on what he says.

---

Finally I told the fuel filter guy that they should be going to the US military and get them to put their product through trials. Just like the US military is doing right now with Royal Purple oils...

I will also be making this suggestion to the oil filter people as well. If they passed the trials and started making them for current military vehicles that speaks volumes for me.

Dieselsmoke

Having installed a ton of FASS systems, the most I've ever seen on a vehicle has been a 5% increase in mileage. We have seen up toa 40HP increase on our dyno though, and slightly less smoke. I doubt Brad will take it to the US military, from what I understand his father already did with the Airdog (extremely similar product, lot higher priced). You don't have to use the FASS filters, I don't as they are $$$$ and it comes with a cross reference chart for many different filters. We do have a return line on the deuces that will work with the system.
The Gulf Coast filter setup is a nice feature. It removes the majority of soot and i've seen oil test results change significantly after using them. They are already selling them to the US military, I ended up with a pallet of their filter systems years back at auction. The best part is the cost of the replacement filter element...a roll of paper towels.
If anyone is interested in a FASS system, call and talk to Blane 530-742-2594, he'l give the best price around on them.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, even with ONLY a 1/2 mpg increase, with fuel cost going up, up, up this has to be worth something. And like you said, a bump in the hp as well.

I guess I'm going to have to 'modify' my deuce with these products.

THANKS for the input. I really appreciate it. jim

rdixiemiller

Dieselsmoke said:
Having installed a ton of FASS systems, the most I've ever seen on a vehicle has been a 5% increase in mileage. We have seen up toa 40HP increase on our dyno though, and slightly less smoke.
How do you think this will affect a deuce since it has a lift pump in the tank already? Do you think enough of it to install it on your truck?

Dieselsmoke

I've got the FASS on my Cummins powered F350 and one on my Powerstroke (both were demo units) but truthfully wouldn't bother with it on the deuce, but that's just because I don't drive the deuce on the road enough to warrant it. They did make a difference in the seat of the pants meter to know they did do something.

DavidWymore

I was thinking it would be pretty easy (I have a machine shop) to put an orifice in a tee right before the Hyd Head and run it into the return.

red

Installed a raptor 150HP lift pump on my deuce when both my in tank pump and booster pump died. Provided 55psi of fuel through 1/2" fuel lines. Works great up to 2300 rpm with the multifuel, but doesn't provide enough pressure to replace the booster pump for the higher rpm.

A standard 100gpm from either raptor of FASS would be a great external pump replacement for the stock in tank pump. Running a pick up tube in the tank, then to the first filter/water separator, then the lift pump. Providing a filter before the pump will extend it's life, and both companies have a lifetime free replacement warranty. The design of the raptor pumps is more friendly to having dirty fuel run through it. Supposedly the FASS is quieter.

Heads up if you have to call Airdog (raptor) for tech support, tell Jeremy to **** off and transfer you to one of the other techs. He will adamantly refuse to believe that there is any issue with the pump. The other techs will help out, and arrange to ship a replacement very quickly. From what I hear FASS has the same issue with customer service. 1 or 2 people at each company gives their customer service a horrible rep, the rest of the employees are much more useful.

rustystud

I don't think letting bubbles out after injection is the same as removing entrained air before...
If you read this closely you will see it is also before. "The opening also serves as a continuous bleed of fuel to permit cooling of the pump" . Since the injection pump uses a "spillway" system to fill the Hydraulic Head there is a constant flow of fuel. There will never be a large "bubble" of air to damage the system. That is where the trouble comes from not microscopic air bubbles in the fuel, but large pockets of air. If there is no way to bleed out the air then large pockets of air can potentially form and cause damage.

DavidWymore

Large pockets cause problems and damage, but according to what I've read, the injectors should last longer, work better, and engine run better if the tiny entrained bubbles are removed. Author of above article says it's best done with a small orifice in the top of the line just before injection.

rustystud

I'll just say this last thing and then shut-up. I love Parker products but this guy is just selling "Racor" filters. We used Racor filters for years on our buses, and they work fine, but the cost is over 4 times the average filter unit. On our last 2 procurements of buses (bus orders from manufactures) Transit went with another brand and our engines are still running the same as before. In fact since the newer engines have even finer particle filtering needs you would think we would have to go with Racor filters according to this guys statements in that article. Instead our engines are still running just fine with these much cheaper filter units. So David if you want to buy this guys expensive filters go for it. I'll stick with my old tried and true filters that still work just great. My injectors and injection pump are also working just fine too.

DavidWymore

I have no intention of buying expensive filters...I dont think that's the key, it's the .020"-.040" bleeder orifice into the return line. I can make that myself with a tee, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks