• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel gensets

Adamlee

are there diesel mil gensets available that are in the 3-5kw output range, that are good/popular/available/reasonable?

or is a civilian model more applicable in a smaller size range like this?
recommendations appreciated.....thx

Adam

NEIOWA

The AF used/uses a very nice 3kw electric start diesel genset (exception to the above advice).

Recent vintage with a Robin (Subaru) engine. Made by T&J Mfg. They are on govliquidation from time to time. Seems to go for $300-450. And that's a decent buy as far as I'm concerned. Easy starting even on the rope. Browse thru the generator pages on this site and you'll find some info and photos.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MEP-016A might fit your needs. It's 3kw, diesel and electric start. Oh and very quiet.

peyton

ken said:
The MEP-016A might fit your needs. It's 3kw, diesel and electric start. Oh and very quiet.
Ken, I suspect you have your model nos. mixed up. The MEP-16A/C is a fine little generator but it is a gas model and, altho not terribly loud, it certainly is not quiet.

I do wish mine was electric start for the wife but it starts pretty easily with the rope.

peyton

mangus580 said:
There was a diesel conversion for the MEP-016.... think that made it a "B"?
Interesting. Didn't know that but now that you bring it up, my TM only mentions the mep-016a/c. Was the Onan diesel engine part of the conversion? I have read about great difficulty in getting parts for those. Thanks

mangus580

Yes it was. A single cylinder. Even worse, is finding the TM for it :)

I have the engine, that will be used on my woodsplitter one of these days...

Crazyguyla

We had the desiel conversions in Iraq. I can't remeber the type of engine installed, but I do believe it started with a "Y"

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tag on the top reads MEP-016-A. It was made by ONAN. It's got a sound supressor kit on it that makes it pretty quiet. Made in 1988.

peyton

ken said:
The tag on the top reads MEP-016-A. It was made by ONAN. It's got a sound supressor kit on it that makes it pretty quiet. Made in 1988.
Thanks Ken. I learn something new here every day. I've never before seen the MEP-016A referred to as anything but gas. Diesel *and* sound suppressed ... nice.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see your here in houston also. If you get a chance swing by the meseum and check it out. I think it started out life as a gas model and was upgraded. It has the same frame as the 3KW gas gensets

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks