• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel in crankcase

jimmr

here is the obituary for my truck ...... at least for now......... but first, ericp351 it was great reading your stuff, I never made it to gibraltar, just the canary is.
The truck is very difficult to rotate, i got the fuel pump refreshed & calibrated, put 4,000 amps to the starter and got 1/3 of a revolution out of the engine. we pulled it with a backhoe back and forth twice in high gear and i managed to hear a high pitched squeal from the engine bay. the hood was down so i could see but i am sure the engine turned a couple revs and the squeal lasted about a full second?
my neighbor who's rebuilt more large engines than i've seen says typically the rear main goes bad, remember, this engine quit driving back to the barn with the crank case full of diesel. I'm wondering if there is cylinder wall/piston wear issues as I've never seen inserts on the crank and rods inhibit rotation to this degree. half the time letting the clutch out would just stop the john deere back hoe!
so there it sits 70 miles away with the 35 ton hydraulic winch, bridge gantry, front 10 ton pto winch, eleven original tires/wheels, widened deck to 10 feet, aftermarket large michelin traction tires, everything i want to haul logs to my sawmill but basically junk.
The owner bought a new engine for it and found out it doesn't work, the engines in these truck has a offset oil pan or a offset crankshaft which i can't figure out as casting a whole new block for a few thousand engines couldn't be practical? he had to get another block.
so i don't know what to do. just getting that rig over here to the ranch from 70 miles away is a daunting prospect and I've no idea really what is really wrong with it.
i'd sure appreciate some ideas, as it is i might get the truck and all its attatchments for maybe $2,000? maybe lots less, I have $500 into it but if it'd cost me $5,000 to fix it I wouldn't much like that .........

Attachments

jimmr

I have to say that is not the case as I believe the engine managed to rotate 3 times by my best judgement, so possibly two pistons never made it thru the compression stroke but 4 did so no, besides, it has sat for two years, maybe 3! I'd like to think any diesel in the cylinder dripped out in that time.
maybe the rings are all knarled up in the bore? maybe the inserts are so gouged it stops the crank? one thing for sure, If I narrow the problem down any further the truck is going to have to be hauled 70 miles to here as I can't work on it further that far from the shop.

jimmr

yes, I considered that and it truely is next in line for that engine, a simple look at the filter can well reveal where the issue lies.
In this case Will I'd have to drain all my oil out, or a lot of it, AND re-install it since I don't own it. Remember too, It is 70 miles away from me in mid-winter. Further; Whether or not I find particulate in the filters it looks like it isn't going to turn anyway and I am looking at some MAJOR work which means i'll have to have that truck over here at my place. Again, sort of a show stopper unless I had another engine block to swap things around with.
Got another block Will ?? how much could I get away with spending for one that needs injector 'O' rings, or a air or water or fuel pump on it?
Do you know what the description of the block I'd need is? The current owner said the wrong engine block (which he bought) wasn't right as the accessory drive gears were in the wrong spot in relation to the front differential and drive lines. If I could get a block on the cheap I'd find a way to get that truck over here and deal with it even though I am discouraged by the 12 volt conversion they did to it.
Thx, any addittional info i'd use.
1709045948793.png

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember too, It is 70 miles away from me in mid-winter.
If you insure it with Hagerty and join their classic car club the first 100 miles of towing is free. That's how I got my M813 from Western Mass to Central Mass, a little over 100 miles, only cost me about $75. Everything else considered and you could get it for short money, would make a neat project truck or at the very least you could part her out and recoup your losses.

jimmr

great idea wreckclues, I wouldn't of ever thought of that. In this case it'll have to be trailered so the tower will have the insurance, also, the deck was widened to ten feet so it'll have to be done on a slow cop day around here despite being able to drive 50 miles or more and never see a cop. In either event, I am not going to bring that truck over here unless:
1. he gives it to me free (mostly) to see it gone
2. I find a good engine block to swap stuff out with that WILL RUN.
3. I find another truck with bad drive gear or some such issue?
4. A tsunami brings it to my driveway!

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think thats a bridge truck is why the bed is 10’ wide. Id be curios what the width is at the rear with the tires singled out. Also not sure why you need a block? Likely a piston liner kit or 6. Maybe a rod or two from forcing it over…

jimmr

it has the wide axles, the tread width outside of tire to other one is about ten feet. the bed was widened after this rancher bought it from idaho motor pool in fruitland idaho so he could stack big bales on it to feed during the winter which he did for about ten years but after two engines and now this cats astrophe he is moving on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks