• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel in motor oil

greg2560

Weee got the motor making oil this weekend when I checked the oil about 3 in over full. Done been reading on SS all over the place... The fdc done bypassed so got to be the IP the HH orings I am guessing. Got to do some more checking. Gimp gave the size of the orings is that the id or od. I am guessing od. At the price of oil humm I could make money lol say 40w mabe down to 15w or 5w ehhehehe..So the ugly truck is parked till I get that fixed...What is the deal with the flame heater? I read a few post saying the FH could cause the fuel in the oil humm how?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FH can leak at normal fuel pressure (even without the flame heater pump dishing out the extra pressure to open the flame heater nozzle). Fuel gets into the intake and can seep down into crankcase over time. Smoke is probably the first sign.

Other than that, HH is probably your culprit. There are three O rings, I am told.

greg2560

so if running good no smoke can rule out flame heater??? That is why I was wtf flame heater. The flame heater heats the intake air to get hot intake air on a cold start right..but if it is in the intake hummm hydro lock... or alot of black smoke after start up after sitting

crazywelder72

I think i am the most recent person to struggle with making oil in the crank case. so since its fresh in my head i will do my best to guide you thru what i have learned in the easiest order to check things.

you said fdc bypassed,
remove the fuel cutoff rod cover and turn on your intank pump (without the motor running) if you see it dripping from the fuel cut off rod then remove the rod and replace the oring. recheck and see if it still drips.

if it doesn't drip, keep your fingers crossed and drive it and WATCH the psi or level. You may be ok at this point...

if not you can check your injectors to make sure you didnt blow a hole in one and be flooding the valve cover with fuel that would leak down. lastly you may have to do the HH.

I got some videos for hh related things on utube (same name Crazywelder72)

let me know what you find

crazywelder72

i didnt believe the flame heater to be the cause but to help track down the source i just bypassed it to remove it from the equation.

the only good news is what you drain out, goes right back in the fuel tank.

Last month Napa had 5 gal of 15w40 on sale for $48. i don't know if it still is.

jp8

I have fuel entering my engine through the IP fuel shutoff cover but only with the engine running not with just the in-tank fuel pump operating with engine off. I plan on replacing the H H upper and lower O rings and the Fuel Control Unit small O ring on the actuator shaft. Is there a way to remove the H H without disconnecting the fuel injector lines? Also any hints to simplify H H removal and install?

Last edited:

crazywelder72

not that i know of. i removed the rear 3 lines completely and the front 3 lines only from the HH. I was able to gently bend the front 3 out of the way. all the line clamps need to come off. Mini wrenches help working on the lines at the HH.

Dont be in a rush, take as much time as necessary. pro's can do it quick, but I removed everything in one day then wanted to put it back together the next. but i had trouble lining the red tooth up

watch the timing marks.... they are your friend.

fordgasmz

if not you can check your injectors to make sure you didnt blow a hole in one and be flooding the valve cover with fuel that would leak down. lastly you may have to do the HH.
What would be the diagnostics in figuring out that one of your injectors is dumping fuel? I've too done the FDC bypass, replaced all 3 HH o-rings, don't have a flame heater and my truck starts immediately and runs PERFECTLY...it just makes about 10 gallons of oil after 500 miles!! oh, I also loosened the secondary (booster) pump to see if fuel came out of the seal there with just the in tank pump going...nothing!! Any suggestions for those of us in this situation??

DieselBob

One other Item to think about would be the mechanical fuel pump on the IP assembly. This is another place where you have fuel pressure in the 30 ~ 60 psi range on one side of a seal and a open path to the crankcase oil not under pressure on the other. 2cents

Attachments

Last edited:

crazywelder72

What would be the diagnostics in figuring out that one of your injectors is dumping fuel? I've too done the FDC bypass, replaced all 3 HH o-rings, don't have a flame heater and my truck starts immediately and runs PERFECTLY...it just makes about 10 gallons of oil after 500 miles!! oh, I also loosened the secondary (booster) pump to see if fuel came out of the seal there with just the in tank pump going...nothing!! Any suggestions for those of us in this situation??
I think the only way would be to pull the injectors and actually take a good look at them for a hole. I doubt it's the problem. Check what Dieselbob said.

rizzo

X2

I have had the in tank pump on and the shutoff cover off and have seen no leaks under 5he bottom of the hydraulic head area where the gear with the red mark is. I'm guessing that if the o ring on the bottom of the hh was leaking I would be able to see it here. Correct?

Last edited:

rizzo

One other Item to think about would be the mechanical fuel pump on the IP assembly. This is another place where you have fuel pressure in the 30 ~ 60 psi range on one side of a seal and a open path to the crankcase oil not under pressure on the other. 2cents
Where can I get that seal?

kennys@wi.rr.com

I would recomend first replacing the O rings. If that doesn't work it could be the plunger inside the head is finally wearing out. I have rebuilt my HH and got another year out of it but now she is producing oil so it's time to replace the HH. I currently have a group buy posted for them. Not a classified ad just a way for all of us to get a deal on them. I'd do the o rings first and hope that does it if not, get on board and get a new head.

kennys@wi.rr.com

And for fuel pressure I recently put a guage in my truck. With the motor off and just the intank pump on I get almost 5psi after the filters. With the motor at idle, 850 rpm, I get about 45psi. While driving I am getting about 65psi. If I am parked and I jsut hit the throttle quick I can get it over 80psi. Hope the numbers help.