• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel in the oil

3dubs

Ok now I am enjoying the a/c even though it is a cool 96 degrees outside.

I had a minor mechanical problem the other day with some knocking under the hood and a smoke screen that would make James Bond look lame. When I drained the oil it was liquid. It smelled like diesel too.

So the question is how does diesel get in the oil? I thought it may have gone in when the engine blew but there was way too much diesel in the pan. I think I was told how but would like to know what other people think of.

Hasbeen

I would check the pilot shaft bushing in the front of the injection pump.
The Stanadyne pump uses a brass bushing that presses / epoxies into the aluminum housing as an "expendable" item.
The drive shaft has two cup shaped ,umbrella seals mounted back to back(rubber) that will deteriorate and / or cut a groove in the bushing.
It`s extremely common and not a very expensive repair.

I have friends in Houston with a fuel shop that I can recommend.

Have you torn it down yet? A blown injector tip will hammer like nobody`s business (like a rod down) and smoke like crazy, but the engine still survive
(unless your luck runs like mine).

Good luck !

Hasbeen

HoJoPo

The mechanical lift pump on the right front corner of the block would be my guess.
I've had the same problem with similar mechanical fuel pumps on gas engines, I agree that you should look at the mechanical fuel pump too.

The diaphragm in the pump is exposed to the crankcase, and when it rusts out it leaks fuel into the oil.

3dubs

I will check the fuel pump first because it is easy. I have a hmmwv engine to put in but want to make sure I don't blow that one. I drive my truck almost every day so I need it to run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks