• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel leaking on turbo??

wsucougarx

First off, sorry for no photos. On Sunday I fired up the deuce and was just checking things under the hood and noticed smoke coming up from the turbo area. Upon further investigation I caught a glimpse of a drip falling onto the turbo. There is a rectangle housing sitting about 12-16 inches up from the turbo that is leaking from the end where there is a circular retaining ring just inside the housing. I noticed the fuel line runs from the fuel injector lines to this housing then to a filter housing on top of the engine. Is this leaky housing somekind of warmer? Is there something inside of the leaky housing that needs to be replaced or does the whole thing get replaced? Please advise.

For a temporary fix I threw some 1,000MPH tape over the leaky end and it held all day. So at least I know this is not a pressure related leak.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
seems like you are describing the flame heater injection nozzle assy. It has two fuel lines on it and screws into the plenum going from the turbo to the intake. Removing and capping off the fuel line will fix that till you can get another nozzle.

wsucougarx

Yes it does have two fuel lines going to it. Ok this is the Flame Heater Injection Nozzle Assy. Thank you. Now my next question. Do I need to replace the whole units or is these something just inside the circular retaining clip that can be replaced? Hmm, is the leak a sign of something else going on in the inside of the assy? If not I was just thinking about throwing somekind of sealant goo on the outside to "fix" it. Where can a guy get this assy?

BimmerPower

Banned
Does anyone have more info on this??? The link shown above this post is dead. I have the same issue and my truck is stranded!!! Diesel is pouring dripping onto the turbo and smoking. I don't fell comfortable to drive it and need to fix it to get it back home. Any suggestions?

Edit: I tried to fix the o-ring but it did not work. Does anyone know the size of the o-ring and clip? Thanks in advance for the information!

Last edited:

pjpiche1

Mine did the same thing last summer. I just capped off the two fuel lines. They are going to stay capped off. A fuel leak on the turbo is an accident waiting to happen.

Keith_J

Had this happen tonight. It was the 1/4" tube fitting leaking. The poly tube needs to be repaired, it isn't too durable to vibration. Be sure to get the insert...a trip to the local Home Depot in the plumbing section will net you the parts. You could use 2 fuel resistant rubber O-rings in lieu of the crimp ferrule as the O-rings will not cut into the tube and will grip the 1/4" tube sufficiently.

mrgerke81

I had same problem as describing and fixed with new o-ring. However could not fix when I picked up in Atlanta and drove to Raleigh NC. I wadded up a handful of papertowels and duct taped around housing to prevent dripping onto turbo. This stopped the drip for the 400 mile journey home. I fixed it once I made it to the house and yes the papertowels were saturated.

Barrman

You can also just run the fuel supply to the flame heater over to the injector return line. Which is where the un used fuel for the flame heater goes anyway. That way you won't have any loose hoses under the hood.

On a side note. I got a spare nozzle so I could try the o ring fix on my truck and still have a working flame starter. There is not enough room to just un screw the nozzle without removing the plenum or the slobber tube from the valve cover. At least there isn't enough room on my truck. Just wanted to mention that so somebody doesn't go out there thinking it is a 4 minute job and wind up being late somewhere. Figure 15-20 minutes if you don't break anything.

On greengators deuce I had to connect the fuel line and return together with a brass compression fitting. The flame heater casting had actually cracked and was leaking the fuel down onto the turbo. Down here in the south doing without a flame heater is no problem. Up in washington state you might wanna fix it.

avengeusa

I can fix these if anyone needs it done, I will not charge for the service either, I have a bunch of the orings for them, i forget what size they are

it only takes a few minutes to do, but there are some parts inside of the injector that could be lost so be careful if you take one apart, do it wrong and you will have a full flow of fuel from the injector into the intake, talk about a runaway, lol

return shipping is paid by the sender...... if you are close to me bring one over and I will fix it free while you wait

PS, rtv, silicone, it will all get slimey and broken down with prolonged contact with the fuels in these trucks, it would be a temporary fix, but I would not do it, hot turbo + fuel = mad fire dept

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks