• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel

emr

This really has been covered alot, but I can see the word Marine making someone think there is a difference, there is not , the cleanest diesel is at the pump now, the least sulfur content, there are currently 2 OTHER diesels meaning a higher sulfur contents, the lowest price is the highest sulfur content, the last diesel at the pump when replaced by the newest made 3 grades, word from my supplier saying there will be 2 again in the future, at the pump and off road/non road taxed, and a higher sulfur content of course, ALL diesel is good period, the newest had alot of people screaming the sky is falling and all old trucks will die, well non of it is true, all diesel is working just fine in everything, But as for the law there is a different story, the cleanest and politically correct is at the pump now and is supposed to be run on all diesels on the road, there are grey areas on this , if someone wants to take a chance, I do in my antique tagged vehicles, they are and were designed as off road and NOT subject to inspection in NJ when running these tags, it is in the book and stopping to be inspected in a vehicle that is said not needed to be inspacted is silly at best, but that is also covered in another gazzilion threads, :) if its cheaper and actually is not dyed u have all the rules beat, your truck has been run since day one on the cheapest home oil on the market, thats what the guard units get, and the military as a whole, but the main deliverys to uncle sam NOT ARMORYS"" is not dyed and a higher sulfer content, Armory's are run by the states and use the cheapest bid from local suppliers, walla , home heat oil dyed , thats what we find in our tanks from the bid lots, , and that is just diesel too, it is all diesel period. Unless someone thinks marine diesel has water in it to help with combustion, sorry i could not resist... :) :beer:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. Unless someone thinks marine diesel has water in it to help with combustion, sorry i could not resist... :) :beer:
Yea I had some marine diesel one time. It was mostly water. :-D

The station that sold it to me had a pretty hefty bill to get it all cleaned out of my fuel system.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Marine diesel is the same as road diesel fuel, just has a red dye in it. There are no road taxes on the fuel. Same thing different color. I pick up off road/farm diesel fuel right now for $3.21 a gallon. It's cheaper but don't get caught. Its a $500.00 fine in Michigan if the police dip your tanks in your truck and the fuel is RED

F18hornetM

The charter boats I've been around used #2 fuel oil, red in color.
We've used #2 fuel oil/HHO in diesel farm equipment, of course boats or tractors are not "on" road vehicles. Its that "red" color that will get you in trouble, and it only takes a small amount to turn the whole tank red. I would think safe bet is regular diesel with an additive.

houdel

If I start the deuce on straight diesel, run it on WMO from a separate tank, and cool it down on straight diesel to flush the lines for easier starting, will WMO get pumped back to the diesel tank?
If you want more info on dual tank systems, search here in the alt fuels forum for the thread by cranetruck on his two tank system. He has one regular tank for plain diesel and a second heated tank for heated veggie oil.

He starts the truck on diesel, then when it is warmed up switches to the veggie oil. Before he shuts down he switches back to diesel allowing enough time for all the veggie oil to be flushed out of the system. IIRC, he switches both the supply and return lines.

I assume there is cross contamination of the two systems as when switching from diesel to veggie oil the fuel system will be filled with diesel fuel which will be returned to the veggie oil tank, and vice versa when switching from veggie oil to diesel.

houdel

i cant find an insurance carrier for historic vehicles that will cover me for at least 1 of 3 reasons. 1. im only 20, 2. because i had a dui last year, and 3 because i dont have a garage
Can't speak for NJ, but State Farm has been very good for me here in MI. I didn't have a garage and they insured me. Don't know about the DUI though.

oddshot

Here is an interesting article on the lubricity issues with ULSD and the performance of several "lubricity improvers". Note that WMO did NOT statistically improve lubricity, and that Marvel Mystery Oil DEGRADED lubricity!:

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
True. the WMO tested "did NOT statistically improve lubricity".

But neither did WMO DEGRADE lubricity.

The reference "may damage systems" may have more to do with the CLEANLINESS of WMO.

Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement

houdel

True. the WMO tested "did NOT statistically improve lubricity".

But neither did WMO DEGRADE lubricity.

The reference "may damage systems" may have more to do with the CLEANLINESS of WMO.

Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement
Actually, the clue here is "not ULSD compliant", WMO probably contains levels of sulpher which could damage catalytic converters.

plym49

The charter boats I've been around used #2 fuel oil, red in color.
We've used #2 fuel oil/HHO in diesel farm equipment, of course boats or tractors are not "on" road vehicles. Its that "red" color that will get you in trouble, and it only takes a small amount to turn the whole tank red. I would think safe bet is regular diesel with an additive.
If it only takes a little 'red' fuel to turn a tank red, how much WMO does it take to turn a red tank black?

rickf

I work for a community college in NJ. We get our gas and fuel from the county yard where they fuel up all of the county highway department trucks. Keep in mind that this is county not state. They use off road diesel in all of their trucks so that means we do also at the college. I guess it is legal for municipalities and schools.

Rick

rickf

Yes, a few years ago in North Carolina. Rt. 168 just south of the Virginia border. It was definitely geared towards diesel pick up trucks. At a stop light were a couple of cops that would note a diesel pick up and call ahead to another couple of DOT cops a 1/4 mile ahead that would pull you over and do a quickie inspection of paperwork and stick the tank. BIG NOTE HERE, They checked BOTH of my tanks. I never mentioned this in all of these related posts because everyone says it never happens to small trucks. YES IT DOES! And in this instance that is all they were checking. the guy in front of me was worried because he was running WVO but he blew right through, as did I since I run road diesel. That fine is not worth it.

Rick

stampy

Apparently they are looking for red offroad diesel and let black or golden go. Anybody been tagged for blac (wmo ) in your diesel?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be prepared for some very hefty fines if the lawman dips your tanks and finds any red dye at all.
My buddy has a commercial generator truck. It has two tanks and the truck or genset can run from either my means of two switches, which is convenient. The genset tank is some 300 gallons, the truck tank is maybe 40. The genset uses offroad diesel and its tank is on the chassis behind the cab, and the 100KW generator mounted aft. Unless an enforcer knew exactly what to check for they would have no way to accuse the truck of running on offroad fuel. The way it is built, it looks obvious that the big add-on tank is for the generator and the 'stock' tank is obviously for the truck engine. I'm not saying he breaks the law, only that he has a nifty setup. Also gets a nifty fee for showing up and providing power as a contractor for special events.

rickf

My buddy has a commercial generator truck. It has two tanks and the truck or genset can run from either my means of two switches, which is convenient. The genset tank is some 300 gallons, the truck tank is maybe 40. The genset uses offroad diesel and its tank is on the chassis behind the cab, and the 100KW generator mounted aft. Unless an enforcer knew exactly what to check for they would have no way to accuse the truck of running on offroad fuel. The way it is built, it looks obvious that the big add-on tank is for the generator and the 'stock' tank is obviously for the truck engine. I'm not saying he breaks the law, only that he has a nifty setup. Also gets a nifty fee for showing up and providing power as a contractor for special events.
Where does the return flow go when running on the gen-set tank? Believe me those guys know what to look for. If the line from the aux tank goes anywhere but straight to the Generator pump then they will find it and that could involve other fines for trying to deceive an officer of the state.

Rick

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks