• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diff oil and cost effectiveness

iacucv

Prepping my m1009 for an Iowa to North Dakota hunting trip. And all the stuff I wanted to do anyway! So far new springs, shocks, steering stabilizer, alignment, complete weatherstrip kit, hitch, license plate light, trailer wiring/brake controller. New belts Doghead mod and resistor bypass were already done. Now I want to replace the diff oil and resell them. I did buy gaskets, what (if any) rtv is recommended?

And the big purpose of this thread..... I see 75-90 gear oil is required. No additive for my m1009 is required. That said, is anyone running or having problems with synthetic? I am always leery of running synergic in a vehicle of this age, the parts were not designed with synthetics in mind.

while we are on the topic... Thoughts on the cheapy mini spools for th front axle? Anyone used one with luck, which one, and am I asking too much from the axle running 33s? Thanks guys

cucvrus

I think the gentlemen was referring to resealing the differential covers. I do NOT use any gaskets anymore. I did for all my life until I tested the Permatex Right Stuff on a few of my vehicles and it worked with out failure. Of course I wire wheeled and cleaned both surfaces and applied a bead of the Right Stuff all the way around and then installed the cover intermediately while the surface was dry and clean. I use 80w90 or 90-140 gear oil. I use regular non synthetic gear oil. I change mine often on a few vehicles. Mainly because I drive in deep water and snow and they are run for days on end. It is an inexpensive procedure. On the M1009 I would always change the rear outer axle seals if you have the rear cover off. You are 95% there and it takes about 10 minutes more and $10. will get you the seals. I would also replace the lock pin bolt every time it is removed. I hope that helps. People around here do buy used oil for heat. it don't pay much but I use mine in an oil burning furnace at work. it helps me get rid of a lot of waste oil and contaminated fuel oil. Good Luck on your trip. I don't have anything bigger then 31" tires so i don't know much about effects of larger tires. I twist and flex my M1009 very hard and with bigger tires and stock suspension I am sure they would hit. i have a few rub marks in my wheel wells with stock tires.

iacucv

Thanks cucvrus, you are correct I want to re seal them. Auto correct was incorrect! Reason for me going with gaskets is I did the rear about a year ago with just rtv because it was leaking, and it has a minor leak again. I will investigate those rear outer seals. 80-90 gear oil does seem to be much more common, if it's good enough for you it's good enough for me!

iacucv

I will look into "the right stuff". In the meantime I already have gaskets for both diffs and as I don't plan on redoing this job for awhile I'm just fine using them up. Any recommendation on the 80-90? I'm partial to high end oils, but sometimes I overthink it.... I'll need 5qt to do both, is it worth the money to run something good like royal purple or Schaeffers at 20 bucks a quart?

Aernan

I resealed a diff on my rover once with RTV. After scouring the boards I found out it leaks mostly because people don't follow the instructions.

The missing step is assemble parts and tighten nuts enough to make the RTV start to squirt. Wait 8 hours for it to setup. Then finish tightening and torque.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I resealed a diff on my rover once with RTV. After scouring the boards I found out it leaks mostly because people don't follow the instructions.

The missing step is assemble parts and tighten nuts enough to make the RTV start to squirt. Wait 8 hours for it to setup. Then finish tightening and torque.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
They make a self dispensing can, kinda like cheez whiz, and it sets in 2 minutes...
https://www.permatex.com/products/g...permatex-the-right-stuff-grey-gasket-maker-3/

cucvrus

I get the Permatex the Right Stuff in a caulk tube. The big caulk tube. It last 6 months as long as you let a swirl hang out the end and break it off before each use. it is the Right Stuff because it never leaked for me. I follow instructions. Clean oil free surfaces. Very easy to achieve. I put it on and put it right together the parts go. Clean dry clean surfaces. Yes I agree the RTV is a thing of the past. I have not used that acidic smelling stuff in 10 years. I would call that the Wrong Stuff. Have a great day. I still put a light coat of the Right Stuff on with gaskets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks