• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

difference 2 1/2 tractor trucks

johan77

Hi guys, what's the difference between an m275 a1 and a2 ? both are SWB (short wheelbase), 2 1/2 ton tractors, same tires, is it in the engine or gearbox ? 4 or 5 speed with high and low transfer case? do they both lack the presence of a spare tire and a toolbox behing the cab ? (the m48 and 5 ton tractors do have it installed).

Happy new year and stay safe !!!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only difference is the A1 has the LDS427 turbosupercharged engine with no muffler and bottom exhaust while the A2 has the LD465 normally aspirated engine with muffler and bottom exhaust. Of course both models would have received the LDT engine with stack exhaust at rebuild time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the M275A1 and -A2 both came with a vertical stack exhaust, including a spark-arrestor-type muffler (?)
Also, the only one -A1 I have seen still had the Sprag T-case.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Neither had tool boxes or spare tire carriers, if you got a steer flat you used the one from trailer or one of the duals. If a dual you just pulled it till you got it fixed. Both had hi/low transfer cases.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the M275A1 and -A2 both came with a vertical stack exhaust, including a spark-arrestor-type muffler (?)
Also, the only one -A1 I have seen still had the Sprag T-case.
David Doyle probably knows the most about this, here are my observations. My ‘66 275A2 for sure never had a stack, it had the muffler near the transfer case with a downspout. The 1970’s contract trucks did have the skinny stack from the factory. The ‘63 275A1 which I sold to SETOYOTA had a hole burned in the fender which tells me it did not come that way from South Bend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks