• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between cargo covers?

135gmc

Even though canvas is "correct", it also shrinks, rots, and needs waterproofing. I've had it in the past, and I don't miss it one bit. My first cab cover was ordered as being newly made, but it was New Old Stock and had shrunk in the package to the point that I couldn't install it. After some grumbling, the dealer gave me back my money-- he kept telling me that it was NEW, and I kept telling him that since it didn't fit, it was worthless. I wound up buying a totally new canvas top that leaked when it rained unless I kept it waterproofed with a parafin / OD dye / rot compound that stank to high heaven, and rubbed off on you for a few months after you brushed it on.

I won't ever install canvas again.

armytruck63

The only vehicle I have with a canvas top is the M38A1, and it is the only vehicle I have garaged.

Also, be aware that some sunlight passes through some tarps. I was dismayed to find the seat on my Mule falling apart after being tarped for a number of years. I changed the tarps when they started looking bad - guess I should have changed them faster. :(

Mine is the 3 piece vinyl (front and rear end curtains and top) and I love it! Looks good on the truck, correct color, looks like canvas from a distance, lightweight, and keeps the back almost completely dry. Bought it NOS for a pretty penny but it was worth it!
-GM

Attachments

SoundGuy

I wonder if bestop or one of the sail companies would make a new cover for these truck. That would be sweet. I know the bestop stuff is waterproof and holds up pretty well on the jeeps. Sail cloth isn't cheap, but probably a pretty good solution too. The design can't be that difficult for someone with the machinery to do it.

houdel

Do either of the covers come with front and rear curtains? As far as I know, all canvas tarps came with separate front and rear curtains. Some vinyl covers came with integral curtains. If the covers you are looking at don't include curtains plan on some more work to find them and more $$ to complete your cover.

Bill W

I found a set of nos front and rear cavas curtains on e-bay for $75 plus ship but then a buddy of mine said he had some in his barn I could pick through when I go down to his place in Fla next month

YOUNG GUN

I have a modified LMTV cage with an LMTV cover on mine. If you can find them they are the best thing since sliced bread.

This cover kit came brand new with my truck, I made custom brackets and cut about 3" off the bottom of the supports, I really like it.

The color was not my favorite, but it has grown on me quite well.:-D

What kind of cover kit is this? LMTV?

Attachments

ProudAmerican

Hello - bought a 1969 Duce and Half - want it back to Vietnam style - cab and cargo canvas covers - looking to buy ! Did they use elastic tie downs or rope - thickness ? How to prevent the smell of the canvas ? Ralph Jones

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This cover kit came brand new with my truck, I made custom brackets and cut about 3" off the bottom of the supports, I really like it.

The color was not my favorite, but it has grown on me quite well.:-D

What kind of cover kit is this? LMTV?
Correct, it's an LMTV kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks