• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between condition H7 and F7?

koolex11

Once again I need your expertise! I was wondering if anyone can properly explain to me the difference between these two condition code classifications for an M101A1? The explanation on the GL website is vague and unclear, both being "unserviceable/reparable". I need a person with decent experience with many of these trailers to tell me specifically what kinds of potential problems am I looking at for each of the two codes, who is classifying them (is it the GL manager or the military) and whether is is wise to avoid either of them. Thanks in advance for the help. I love this site!

papercu

It really doesn't matter what code is assigned to a item from the DRMO so there is no need for a civilian to go by them.
G/L is quite clear, Do not bid unless you have inspected IN PERSON. That would be the overriding concern unless you buy at scrap price. Wayne

koolex11

Thanks guys. Don't worry, I only buy the cheap stuff. I don't like to gamble. Sometimes I win, sometimes I recycle! Either way I at least break even, though I may break down!

That makes me wonder about people that have been burned by GL. Any interesting stories out there of ridiculous rip-offs?

Chief_919

I could go on and on about teh technicla differences, but it doesn't matter. GL just lists whatever it was listed as when turned in, and 99% of the time the folks doing the turn in just use the same code every time regardless of actual condition.

So in short it ends up being a whole lot of wasted effort to even record and report the condition codes.

bob95065

I bought a M101A3 that was listed as condition code F7. It had brand new tires, bearings, drums, brake shoes and the fluid in the master had just been changed. It came complete with side boards, bows and canvas and the front landing leg. The only thing missing was the rear leg which is no big deal for me. It has a few minor dents along the top rail and some flaking paint but otherwise it was in good shape. I would have given it a better condition code personally.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Theoretically F7 is a better condition than H7. As said above, the codes are worthless though. I've seen good items coded HX and complete junk coded F7.