• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between hydro and vacuum brake pedal assembly?

shotty

Bumping this instead of starting a new thread... NV4500 swap into an m1008, you need an 85 and up hydroboost clutch setup, right? Anything earlier is manual clutch. Just want to confirm, ebay sellers list things as 75-87 hydroboost which isn't helping.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping this instead of starting a new thread... NV4500 swap into an m1008, you need an 85 and up hydroboost clutch setup, right? Anything earlier is manual clutch. Just want to confirm, ebay sellers list things as 75-87 hydroboost which isn't helping.
85 and up had hydraulic clutch. Any year could have hydroboost brakes.

shotty

85 and up had hydraulic clutch. Any year could have hydroboost brakes.
Yes, of course you still need to find a hydroboost specific setup, I should have clarified. I was concerned about model years since a lot of sellers dont state hydraulic or manual clutch but are usually pretty good about stating if its hydroboost or vacuum assist brakes.

erasedhammer

Yes, of course you still need to find a hydroboost specific setup, I should have clarified. I was concerned about model years since a lot of sellers dont state hydraulic or manual clutch but are usually pretty good about stating if its hydroboost or vacuum assist brakes.
I heard that the pedal differences between vacuum and hydroboost are minimal. apparently the rod is just a different length.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard that the pedal differences between vacuum and hydroboost are minimal. apparently the rod is just a different length.
The pin the brake rod attaches to is in a different spot so the easiest thing to do is just put the hydroboost brake pedal onto the manual transmission pedal assembly and cut the foot pad down like posted earlier in the thread, but you could modify a vacuum pedal as well.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would make sure even if someone says it’s out of an 85 or newer that it really is a hydraulic clutch setup as it’s not uncommon for things to be swapped around. I just bought a 79 that had been swapped to hydraulic clutch.

shotty

The pin the brake rod attaches to is in a different spot so the easiest thing to do is just put the hydroboost brake pedal onto the manual transmission pedal assembly and cut the foot pad down like posted earlier in the thread, but you could modify a vacuum pedal as well.
Good to know that's an option as well. A lot easier to find the vacuum pedal assemblies.

ALTOcal

I have a few solutions to this problem...finding a hydraulic and hydro boost pedal assembly may be expensive or time consuming (or both). You can find genuine parts from 4speedconversions as well as a lot of part numbers and which vehicle they came from.

you can also get all mechanical linkage in a kit (or individually) from USA1

I’m working with mechanical pedals that are non-hydro boost. They still need to be modified on the brakes side, but Modern Drive Lines makes a hydraulic retrofit kit to work with the mechanical pedals. This is no joke, they engineered this, not something you’ll have to modify to work in a stock setup. Call them, they will modify the kit to match your slave cylinder bore x travel and the right house fittings

erasedhammer

I have a few solutions to this problem...finding a hydraulic and hydro boost pedal assembly may be expensive or time consuming (or both). You can find genuine parts from 4speedconversions as well as a lot of part numbers and which vehicle they came from.

you can also get all mechanical linkage in a kit (or individually) from USA1

I’m working with mechanical pedals that are non-hydro boost. They still need to be modified on the brakes side, but Modern Drive Lines makes a hydraulic retrofit kit to work with the mechanical pedals. This is no joke, they engineered this, not something you’ll have to modify to work in a stock setup. Call them, they will modify the kit to match your slave cylinder bore x travel and the right house fittings

I got mine installed. No fabrication at all. I bought Vacuum brake/Hydraulic Clutch pedal assembly and just put the auto brake pedal into the assembly. Works great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks