• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference Between M35A2s?

kingkong0192

Prepare to get hammered with questions from someone who doesn't know much about the topic. Searched, but i haven't found something that states clear as day what i'm looking for.

Are there any differences between the years/makes of A2s?

I've seen some of them for sale made by Kaiser Jeep, Some made by AMC General (i think?), etc.

Did different manufacturers use different parts? Are there pros and cons to each manufacturer? Or are all the parts the same and the only difference being the manufacturer? (Ie; Did the government supply all the parts and just find a manufacturer to put them together?)

My other question is motors. AFAIK all M35A2s are Multifuel. Is this correct? Did they put turbos on just random A2s or how was that determined?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem. We like answers and by teaching you to fish............

The trucks built by different manufacturers were built to government specs. Although possible I haven't seen nay of the trucks you couldn't swap parts from one to the other of the same model but made by a different company.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77607-TM-s-for-the-Deuce

and here

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM35sTMdownloadpage.htm

When you are done reading them most of your questions will be answered.

Now I have to go put flame retardant clothes on for when certain other members complained that I told you to read the manuals.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We also ask our members not to use texting abbreviations on the forums.

I have no idea what AFAIK means.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll address your last question. M35s came out in 1950 with the OA-331 "Gold Comet" gas engine. Then, as the Army switched to diesel in the early 1960's the M35A1 was produced with the LDS427 turbocharged multifuel diesel engine. At the same time, the 5 ton trucks were procured with the LDS465 (more displacement) turbocharged engine. The 427 engine was not very reliable, so Continental came up with the naturally aspirated LD465 for use in the deuce and a halfs. Basically the same engine as the 5 ton, but detuned to 130 ish horsepower. The LD465 was used in trucks from roughly 1966 to 1975. At that time, the LDT465 was produced with a turbocharger to clean up the exhaust, and was used in deuces up until the end of production in 1988. Since these engines were replaced all the time, it is very common to find LDT engines in 1960's and even 1950's trucks.

Last edited:

Woodsplinter

They're all the same- no one manufacturer is better than another. Turbos were added later to reduce exhaust smoke but I don't know what year that started.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll address your last question. M35s came out in 1950 with the OA-331 "Gold Comet" gas engine. Then, as the Army switched to diesel in the early 1960's the M35A1 was produced with the LDS427 turbocharged multifuel diesel engine. At the same time, the 5 ton trucks were procured with the LDS465 (more displacement) turbocharged engine. The 427 engine was not very reliable, so Continental came up with the naturally aspirated LD465 for use in the deuce and a halfs. Basically the same engine as the 5 ton, but detuned to 130 ish horsepower. The LD465 was used in trucks from roughly 1966 to 1975. At that time, the LDT465 was produced with a turbocharger to clean up the exhaust, and was used in deuces up until the end of production in 1988. Since these engines were replaced all the time, it is very common to find LDT engines in 1960's and even 1950's trucks.
Are you sure M35's in 1950? I think that is very early???

RAYZER

There are some noticeable differences on the frames, I'm not sure if they are between a1's and 2's but maybe someone could shed light.
A couple of differences I've noticed are the transfer case mounts and the front cross member engine mount.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are some noticeable differences on the frames, I'm not sure if they are between a1's and 2's but maybe someone could shed light.
A couple of differences I've noticed are the transfer case mounts and the front cross member engine mount.
I can't speak from experience on the gasser, but there are 2 totally different front engine crossmembers and 2 totally different transfer mount systems.

The M44A1 front engine mount is vastly superior to the M44A2 which can bend and sag under the weight of the multifuel. I have several trucks with sagging A2 crossmembers and one with a military installed "ad hoc" kind of brace to prevent is from sagging.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The LD465 was used in trucks from roughly 1966 to 1975. At that time, the LDT465 was produced with a turbocharger to clean up the exhaust, and was used in deuces up until the end of production in 1988.
My deuce has a 1973 ldt465-1c, the turbo is the Schwitzer 3ld-305.

RAYZER

I can't speak from experience on the gasser, but there are 2 totally different front engine crossmembers and 2 totally different transfer mount systems.

The M44A1 front engine mount is vastly superior to the M44A2 which can bend and sag under the weight of the multifuel. I have several trucks with sagging A2 crossmembers and one with a military installed "ad hoc" kind of brace to prevent is from sagging.
The A1 front engine mount cross member is bolt in and completely removable, by unbolting this cross member it allows the engine with transmission attached to be pulled straight foward and out.
One other advantage with this bolt in setup is it has a seperate bolt on radiator mount which has a large cut out and allows access for a boxed end wrench on the front crank shaft bolt from underneath, this allows turning of the crank for injection pump and valve adjustment service.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the biggest differences today is color, some are green, some tan, some camo. To many choices.

stb64

Originally Posted by clinto

The A1 front engine mount cross member is bolt in and completely removable, by unbolting this cross member it allows the engine with transmission attached to be pulled straight foward and out.
One other advantage with this bolt in setup is it has a seperate bolt on radiator mount which has a large cut out and allows access for a boxed end wrench on the front crank shaft bolt from underneath, this allows turning of the crank for injection pump and valve adjustment service.
The M44A1 style crossmember was also used on M44A2 until at least 1967.
The new style replacing it was soon found to have a tendency to crack at the engine support welds. A repair kit consisting of a piece of angle iron was then issued, this was also covered in the PS magazine.
Trucks affected were built under contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007. My M275A2 was built under that contract and still has the original crossmember.
Later trucks had a modified crossmember with the welds to the engine support placed away from the edge of the crossmember's top flange.
This new improved crossmember was also issued as a kit with all necessary hardware and instructions. Trucks that have been retrofitted can be identified by the bolted-in instead of riveted-in crossmember.
For a crossmember to sag, the truck has to really be abused. However, M44A2 built for the danish army had the front crossmember reinforced by riveting a second crossmember upside down to the regular one, and this may have been done for a good reason.

Clinto, can you please post a picture of the reinforcement, so that i can see if this is the one that was in the PS magazine ?
If so, i would like to replicate it, to reinforce my crossmember before it starts cracking. Of course, any information about it, from anybody, will be appreciated.
I would really hate it having to replace my crossmember, the truck has less than 1000 original miles on it, and has never been rebuilt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks