• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference in Grills

Armada

Mr Doyle, you may know the answer to this. I've noticed on 800 series trucks that there are 2 styles of grills/brush guards that are used. However, there doesn't appear to be a correlation with the year of manufacture. Can you shed some light? Is there any rhyme or reason for 2 styles? Seems as though this applied to the previous M39 series 5T's as well.
Thanks.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Differences

He wrtoe an M-series 6x6 spotter's guide for Army Motors a few years ago and he mentioned this. On the 809 series, I think the tubular one is USMC, the flat bar stock is everthing else.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The tubular grille I believe to be the earliest grille. I've been told that the flat bar stock grille was created at the request of the USMC, but I have yet to confirm this. Right now I think that the bar stock grille came along about 1978, but I've done far too little research to state this as a fact.

Hope this helps,
David

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

I stand corrected, oops. :oops:

M1075

I believe tubular was first used with M809 series and then the flat style grill was later used. I heard something about water getting into the tubes and causing issues. I prefer the look of the tubular grills, though. To me, that is what makes a M809 look better than a M44 series.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I believe the grille is different between M39 and M809 series.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, the tubular grille was new to the M809 series. Note that the M809 has a grille shaped loosely like that of a M35, whereas the earlier trucks (gas, Mack, and Multifuel) had a flat grille.

Regards,
David

jwaller

I read on here that the tubular grill's are older and bc of internal rust issues they get replaced by the flat ones when the time comes.

if you look at the bottom edge of the tube on the lowest portion, almost all the round tube ones' I've seen have some type of bulge from the tube cracking from internal rust.

Armada

Thanks for the info. My 818 is a '70 that went through a rebuild in '06, so I'm guessing the tube grill was replaced with a flat stock grill at that time.
The reason I mentioned the mutifuels having the tube grill is because they show them having both types in one of my manuals.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks