• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences between 1950's 60's and 70's deuces

jeli

What are the main changes that would make a difference in looking for a deuce? Let's assume similar condition, rust, wear, etc. I already understand the following.

gas vs diesel (non-turbo vs C vs D turbos)
direct vs OD trans
Sprag vs air shift T case

Normally newer is better but if I find a late 50's or 60's truck in good shape it doesn't seem like much changed over the years.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Differences between 1950

Well,Gas is quieter but more $$$ to run,The M35A1 had the short lived 427 multifuel engine that is a PITA to get parts for,The M35A2 has the 465 Multifuel engines that are a dime a dozen.Turbo,if you can handle the noise go with a C turbo truck.They scream pretty good at any RPM.The D is pretty quite but has a nice deep Big block sound.Teh Non turbo,well,do you like smoke and lot of exhaust racket?As for Trannies go with OD.Even if you get a gasser see if you can put an OD tranny in there so you can keep the RPMs off redline.And lower RPMs means better fuel mileage.Sprag Vs airshift.When the sprag is working right it is good but I personally like the airshift.Granted,if you lose air for some reason you don't have front drive but I like to be in control of the front end.Plus with the sprag,it doesn't engage till your stuck already or just about to get stuck.

red devils dude

mirrors came in three different styles deep water fording kit went from a cable pull on the dash to a air switch
starter went from a foor switch to a dash switch head lights went from low to high.

FreightTrain

Banned

Yea,I personally like the M35A2 better than the others even though I would like to have a M35A1 just for giggles.The A2 has all the goodies.Run on anything(Bio,Gasoline,Petrol Diesel,etc),Cheapish parts,available parts,Simple and functional,affordable to drive MPG wise....for a 7 ton plus truck!

houdel

Definitely M35A2. M35's are scarce, and the multifuel gives you better fuel mileage. "C" turbo if you like to hear the "whistle (I do), "D" turbo if you don't, definitely a personnel heater where you live and a hard top would be preferred for your climate, and an air shift front axle. Other than that is is whatever floats your boat. Gassers came with a direct drive trans, multifuels with an OD trans. Obviously if you have a multifuel you MUST have an OD trans unless you are happy cruising at 35-40 MPH.

Lloyd B

I am new to the M35a2 scene, I just purchased a 1966 Am-General, when you are referring to the OD transmission are you referring to the 5 speed or is there another transmission with an additional overdrive? I just attempted to drive mine from California to Tennessee, had a transfer case issue and have to go back and pick it up in Amarillo TX. to continue the trip. I ran mine at 48-50 mph nearly the whole way at about 2200 rpm. Back to the subject of the different years, my truck has square turn signal guards and west coast mirrors, is this normal?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am new to the M35a2 scene, I just purchased a 1966 Am-General, when you are referring to the OD transmission are you referring to the 5 speed or is there another transmission with an additional overdrive? I just attempted to drive mine from California to Tennessee, had a transfer case issue and have to go back and pick it up in Amarillo TX. to continue the trip. I ran mine at 48-50 mph nearly the whole way at about 2200 rpm. Back to the subject of the different years, my truck has square turn signal guards and west coast mirrors, is this normal?
Gasser M35's are 5speed but with 1:1 fifth gear, no OD like the A1/A2 multifuel.

Square turn signal guards are from trucks purchased on the 1969 contract. Your truck may have had them or the entire fenders swapped.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?30943-Square-turn-signal-lights

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16347-odd-turn-signal-guards-70-Kaiser-Jeep-M35A2

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?89851-Curiosity-front-turn-light-brush-guard

West Coast mirrors at this point are the most common. Several styles preceded them, most trucks were updated.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would describe the shift pattern on the OD transmissions as the one that is different. It is different from anything I have ever rowed before.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am 8000 miles away from it now but I am pretty sure my 43 CCKW and my 45 DUKW have the same strange shift pattern as my 71 Jeep 2 1/2 ton. If you want a real strange shifting experience start out in low range and shift to high in a Unimog. Eddy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did the early ones have Douglas connectors on the wiring?
I've had several trucks that still had Douglas connectors left over from their early lives (I have a truck now that's obviously early-several Douglas connectors, remnants of the old 25A generator and external regulator, rear exit exhaust, etc.).

99mrpc

A transmission guy told me the A2s shift pattern is that way to reduce shift linkage failure. A standard H patterns linkage crosses like an X and is more likely to fail. The A2s pattern keeps the linkage parallel and shorter which helps to keep it from failing. Though I've never checked as I no longer have an A2.

RobM36A2

By the way, a lot of the topics on the manual deuces say the synchro for the 4th gear is gone or not good.
Is this because of the shifting pattern?

welldigger

By the way, a lot of the topics on the manual deuces say the synchro for the 4th gear is gone or not good.
Is this because of the shifting pattern?
I would blame miss-shifting or abuse rather than the design of the tranny. I guess in a way you can blame the shift pattern for this. Since most would assume where 4th is to be 5th they shift into 5th not realizing it is the highest gear. Then while at close to max speed trying to shift into 4th thinking it was 5th.

Sorry if that was a little hard to follow. My truck will accelerate in 5th, after skipping 4th, on level or downhill road. Not to mention the jump between 3rd and 4th is pretty tall anyways. An inexperienced deuce driver can easily make a mistake in shifting and not realize it. I did it when I first started driving a deuce and everyone who drives my truck for the first time does it.