• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences between 1998 and 2008 MTVs?

MStryker

I am in the preliminary process of looking at MTV's. Planning to purchase one this fall.

I have checked on the auction website and it seems that the vast majority are 1998-2008 models. I am specifically looking at Stewart & Stevenson 6x6's.

The thing I can't really figure out is the differences between model years. It looks like some of the newer trucks might have updated headlights? But other than that I'm not aware if there's any minor or major differences.

Anybody that can shed some light on the differences would be great.

Thanks!

snowtrac nome

The newest trucks are going to have the c-7 engine and no air ride cab. the c-7 maybe electronicly controlled but its a real workhorse and generaly real reliable. Im no real fan of the 3126 engines I prefer the 3116 engines. the 3126 is also a pretty good engine but the reliability of the 3126 in my opinion beats it out. Now I couldn't imagine having to go with out my air ride cab. but the c-7 will have the most horsepower. There are some electrical differences but those are centered around the engine harness mostly.

319cssb

The newer trucks also have far better diagnostic options. I can use a laptop for engine and ABS and CTIS diagnostics... oh transmission diagnostics, too

scottmandu

For the most part the trucks are all the same. Here are some notable changes

1993 to 1998 was the 3116 engine.
1999 to mid 2004 had the 3126
later 2004 to present had the C7
1998 to 2005 had the WTECIII trans controller
Late 2005 had Gen IV trans controller and 3500SP transmission
2006+ saw the redesigned battery boxes with stainless steel tray and the battery lift.
later 2003 had the battery relay disconnect
1999 had the improved rust proofed cab
2008+ had the fiberglass lower bumper skid plate

MStryker

The newest trucks are going to have the c-7 engine and no air ride cab. the c-7 maybe electronicly controlled but its a real workhorse and generaly real reliable. Im no real fan of the 3126 engines I prefer the 3116 engines. the 3126 is also a pretty good engine but the reliability of the 3126 in my opinion beats it out. Now I couldn't imagine having to go with out my air ride cab. but the c-7 will have the most horsepower. There are some electrical differences but those are centered around the engine harness mostly.
Do you know the cutoff year for the air ride cabs?
The newer trucks also have far better diagnostic options. I can use a laptop for engine and ABS and CTIS diagnostics... oh transmission diagnostics, too
So that's just for the 2004+? Did the previous engines not use such a complex system? Last winter one of our machines at work went down with a bad injector. It required having a CAT technician drive out and re-program the machine and it was a fairly old machine. I'd like to avoid such issues since I expect to have this truck in some rather remote places in the next 5-10 years.
For the most part the trucks are all the same. Here are some notable changes

1993 to 1998 was the 3116 engine.
1999 to mid 2004 had the 3126
later 2004 to present had the C7
1998 to 2005 had the WTECIII trans controller
Late 2005 had Gen IV trans controller and 3500SP transmission
2006+ saw the redesigned battery boxes with stainless steel tray and the battery lift.
later 2003 had the battery relay disconnect
1999 had the improved rust proofed cab
2008+ had the fiberglass lower bumper skid plate
Great list, thank you!

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe 99 to present has 4 leafs in the spring packs compared to the earlier ones only had 3 leafs

A huge benefit for the computer controlled 3126 and C7 engines is you can easily reprogram them, for example my engine had i think it was 275hp and caterpillar reprogrammed it to 330hp also had them activate cruise control settings in the computer and I wired 2 switches for cruise control, and after I did the high speed gear change they recalibrated it so the speedometer reads the proper speed.

The dash layout is different the newer models have more warning lights.

Different fuse panels

Oh and a. If difference is no one has been able to get ahold of the new models tech manuals the user manuals are available but they don’t help when you need to trace wires or change a transmission so the manuals that would help finding parts and trouble shooting aren’t avalible. BUT if someone can correct me with share the manuals I would be willing to pay good money for them.

scottmandu

I believe 99 to present has 4 leafs in the spring packs compared to the earlier ones only had 3 leafs

A huge benefit for the computer controlled 3126 and C7 engines is you can easily reprogram them, for example my engine had i think it was 275hp and caterpillar reprogrammed it to 330hp also had them activate cruise control settings in the computer and I wired 2 switches for cruise control, and after I did the high speed gear change they recalibrated it so the speedometer reads the proper speed.
The dash layout is different the newer models have more warning lights.

Different fuse panels

Oh and a. If difference is no one has been able to get ahold of the new models tech manuals the user manuals are available but they don’t help when you need to trace wires or change a transmission so the manuals that would help finding parts and trouble shooting aren’t avalible. BUT if someone can correct me with share the manuals I would be willing to pay good money for them.
I've got the newer tech manuals. And yes the 3126 had a better warning light system but still had the 3116 gauges. The C7 got an entirely updated gauge panel.

Regarding electrials The 3116 had the realy/circuit breakers. The 3126 had the huge circuit panel that sucks. The C7 got the Power Distribution Modules.

redman333

I've got the newer tech manuals. And yes the 3126 had a better warning light system but still had the 3116 gauges. The C7 got an entirely updated gauge panel.

Regarding electrials The 3116 had the realy/circuit breakers. The 3126 had the huge circuit panel that sucks. The C7 got the Power Distribution Modules.
I was looking for this info before on the PDMs. What year did the C7 make it into trucks, 06?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SCOTTMANDU has most of the big differences. I don't know which years some of these changes came into effect, but here are some more:

1) Different bumper
2) Grab handles on the outside of the cab (this is a very nice addition/upgrade)
3) Roof insulation inside the cab
4) ABS
5) Different grab handle on the roof inside the doors (the newer one seems more stout)
6) The front sider markers are on the corners of the bumper, not the doors.

I am not sure when they started these changes, but they are on my 2007 truck. I guess they may also have retroactively fit some of these things to older trucks. My 1998 M1078, for example, as the newer style grill.

snowtrac nome

As for the injector questions the 3126 uses a heui injector the same as the c-7, the c-7 injectors will require a laptop with cat e-t to install trim codes. The 3126 is a little less regulated and there is no need for cat e-t to change out injectors, just pop one right out, suck the oil from the combustion chamber, install the new injector and start it up.

scottmandu

There are several slight variations of bumper, some had side marker lights, some had the towing electrical cable plug placed in different locations. For the most part the A0 and 3126 A1's had the same bumper. The A1R had a different bumper along with a different front skid plate.

Not sure on the interior grab handles.

The A0's had a plastic grab handle and the later trucks A1 possibly had the handles made from cloth strap.

The A1's also had a door limiting strap which prevented the door from opening too far and damaging the check strap mechanism. My 2000 A1 didn't have it but my 2003 had it.

ABS was an A1 feature.

Grab handles were put in place with the C7

Roof insulation has always been available as retrofit kits, but all the A1 trucks I've gotten had it.

SCOTTMANDU has most of the big differences. I don't know which years some of these changes came into effect, but here are some more:

1) Different bumper
2) Grab handles on the outside of the cab (this is a very nice addition/upgrade)
3) Roof insulation inside the cab
4) ABS
5) Different grab handle on the roof inside the doors (the newer one seems more stout)
6) The front sider markers are on the corners of the bumper, not the doors.

I am not sure when they started these changes, but they are on my 2007 truck. I guess they may also have retroactively fit some of these things to older trucks. My 1998 M1078, for example, as the newer style grill.

MStryker

Thanks everybody for the answers so far, it has been very informative.

It seems like the way to go is a truck with the 3126 engine. The only downside I can see to that is the sucky circuit panel?

It seems like 4 rear leafs, the better rust proofing, potential for cruise control, program-ability, and relative technical simplicity (for injector swapping, etc).

So I'm looking for a 1999-2004 model, I think.

redman333

Thanks everybody for the answers so far, it has been very informative.

It seems like the way to go is a truck with the 3126 engine. The only downside I can see to that is the sucky circuit panel?

It seems like 4 rear leafs, the better rust proofing, potential for cruise control, program-ability, and relative technical simplicity (for injector swapping, etc).

So I'm looking for a 1999-2004 model, I think.
And I'm looking for one with a C7 in it lol. I am a diesel technician by trade though so I have access to all the tools and software I need to work on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottmandu

Also the engines got quieter and smoother and more powerful over the years. The 3116 sounds like a clothes dryer full of rocks compared to a C7.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks