• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences between M101A1 and M116A3

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other than the tie-down loops and the surge brakes what are the major differences between the M101A1 and the M116A3 trailers? I'm getting conflicting information regarding tonnage and side panels. Since the M116 is supposed to be a flatbed are these side panels removable?

The first photo is what is reported to be a M116A3 and the second one is a M101A1.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The first photo is what is reported to be a M116A3 and the second one is a M101A1.
WRONG Both photos you show are 101 cargo trailers, they both have M101 cargo box beds. If the data plate on the tongue says 116 on one of these then what has happened is that somewhere in it military life, a cargo box bed was put on a M116 frame. A 3/4T trailer frame without a bed on it is a M116, light weight shop sets beds flatbeds and flatbed/generator beds with metal stakes and bows along with several other strange beds were put on that frame. All those diffrent versions will say M116 on the data plate. The photo below is one of many of the type that will say 116 on the data tag. M116= [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1] chassis not trailer.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doing a Google search for M116A3 brings up the configuration pictured with the metal loops at each end of the side rails. Any idea as to the purpose?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the tonnage did go up with the newer frames. The frames are also taller 3 inch to 4 inch. All of this info is in the manual.

m38inmaine

The first picture is a M101A3?(M116A3 chassis), designed for use by hummers, notice the wheel sticking out, that offset is designed for a hummer wheel, usually when modified the fenders are flared but I don't see that on this one, they used these trailers untill a dedicated hummer trailer was built. The second is a standard 3/4 ton trailer, old M37 type wheels and no surge brakes.

Last edited:

papercu

metal loops at each end of the side rails
According to the TM:
U-bolt (M101 A2 and M 101A3) Provides lift points for new-style cargo body. Located
at each of four lower corners of cargo body.
. Wayne

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't trying to start an arguement about anything just wanted some clarification. I physically looked at the one listed as a M116A3 on GL and thought the plate read M101A3 but seeing it on the site with M116A3 made me start questioning whether I read it right. I then did the Google search and it showed this configuration as a M116A3 including the lifting loops. The doc I found apparently was a "bid" configuration for production and not the final product.

Personally, other than the surge brakes, I prefer the looks of the 101A1 in the above photos. Especially since it has the fiberglass racks.

I already have a 116A2 so don't really need another one.

Wolf.Dose

Nothing to argue!
M101/116 had the WWII stile park brake levers and 5 stud 9.00-16 wheels.
A101A1/M116A1 had the over the dead centre park brake levers and 9.00-16 5 stud wheels.
M101A2/M116A2 where equiped with overrun breaking devices (also called inertia brake device) with the A1 park brake levers and 8 stud wheels for CUCV series wheels.
I have no manual for A3 trailers, but it seems that they have HUMMVE wheels. As to my information for the HUMMVE's they made new trailer with 17 digit serial numbers. Sorry, I have no M-number.
The M101 is the cargo trailer, the M116 is a chassis / plattform trailer. If a M101 has a M116 draw bar, that has simple reason: the original parts were bent and according to the manual you have to canibalise these parts from an other trailer. The draw bar parts have no stock number.
Wolf from Germany

jeepin

Another point-- both my M116 generator decks have a data plate that said something like "Warning this trailer has a reduced load capacity" Which I took to mean that there as not as many leaves in the springs as a M101. I have never counted the leaves but that is my best guess. So if someone military or civilian put a generator frame with a surge brake under a cargo bed it may or may not have the cargo springs... Just something to check.

aboonski

Anybody know the size of the tires on this trailer which appears to have H1 rims on it? Are these smaller tires than you would find on a Humvee? The reason I am asking is the desire to take four of these, from trailers like this to place on my M1008 CUCV. If these are a smaller diameter tire they would be ideal for the CUCV because the truck would not require lifting but only a spacer. Wondering also if these two-piece rims are unique for this trailer application. I think they also have run flat capabilities. I am thinking they were being towed by the H1 so it would have been beneficial to have the same wheels on both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

Attachments

Chief_919

Anybody know the size of the tires on this trailer which appears to have H1 rims on it? Are these smaller tires than you would find on a Humvee? The reason I am asking is the desire to take four of these, from trailers like this to place on my M1008 CUCV. If these are a smaller diameter tire they would be ideal for the CUCV because the truck would not require lifting but only a spacer. Wondering also if these two-piece rims are unique for this trailer application. I think they also have run flat capabilities. I am thinking they were being towed by the H1 so it would have been beneficial to have the same wheels on both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

Those are standard HMMWV 37x12.50 tires on 16.5 inch HMMWV rims, the exact same you will find on the trucks.

I may have one tire/wheel combo for sale if you need it.

To muddy the waters a bit, there was also the M116A2E2, an A2 with an offset axle and HMMWV wheels/tires as well as fender extensions, but without the adjustable landing leg and without the heavier spring packs of the A3. I can't tell without seeing the front of that one, but it looks exactly like my USMC M116A2E2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just some info to add to this thread. The M101A3 and maybe -A2 will come with the M116 data plate on the trailer frame then the 101A3 data plate on the box. They come this way, not a body switch at depot or unit level. The fenders of the 101A3 seem flared out but the fact is the entire fender assy was moved outboard 5". My M101A1 has about 45" between the fenders in the bed and the 101A3 has 55". The spacing above 48" is a great thing. Another thing I noticed is that not all of them have the crank up landing gear. My 101A3 does and the 116A3 doesn not although some of the 116A3s at this site I got mine from, did! Now with that said, is there anyone out there wanting to convert their M101A1 or A2 to an A3? I have an M116A3 genset trailer that is losing its body and axle very shortly. The body may find its way onto the back of the M880 so I can sell it but the axle can be available

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks