• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences between tilt column and non tilt

Hollowman

I mean the actual handle that sticks out of the column but I think I follow what you're saying. The column did not originally have delay wipes so I think I have to change out the switch inside the column for one with a harness that has the two extra wires. I assume those wires are what carry the current for the varied delay settings at the stalk.

DrJekl

OKay. Yes, the wiper control switch inside is different. Again, I forget the number of wires but a non delay harness out of the column has the same number of wires as the dash harness. I think the number is four. On a delay unit, the column side has six wires while the output of the box is four pins into the four wires in the dash harness. You can't just throw the box in and get the delay function.

cheiser666

Tried to install the column and ran into a problem. The ignition rod is about 1 inch longer on the tilt so my ignition harness will not bolt up properly. Is this a common problem? I think it is an older column because it doesnt have the hi-beam switch ( i was going to install a floor mount).

unaffiliated

@cheiser. You probably should get the correct column unless you want to go through the trouble of totally rewiring the wipers and turn signals. The older columns were for vehicles with the wiper switch on the dash and the dimmer on the floor, totally different wiring. I guess it could be done but what a major PITA.

epartsman

You cannot use an older tilt column on a newer truck period. If the dimmer and the wipers are in the column that is the style you need to go with. Make sure to get the delay box as well. The new column will most likely have the intermittent wiper switch as well as cruise (tilt/cruise option was sold together). It will be a direct bolt in and plug up with the only extra connector being the one for cruise. The earlier models with the wipers on the dash and the dimmer on the floor will not work.

DrJekl

A tilt column and standard column use a different ignition switch. They use the same harness but the plugs go in upside down so to speak. There is a link in this thread to my photos in another thread showing the differences. The older columns use the same ignition switches and the plugs are the same so it sounds to me like you have non-tilt switch in use possibly.

You should get the right column with the dimmer and wipers on the column. It will save you some a55 pain. Otheriwse you will need to wire in seperate wiper and dimmer switch. A correct tilt should not run more than $75 and you will certainly have more than $75 of your time making your older column work. The older tilt columns are harder to find the the one you need so you will be able to make money on it and pay for the right one.

Tried to install the column and ran into a problem. The ignition rod is about 1 inch longer on the tilt so my ignition harness will not bolt up properly. Is this a common problem? I think it is an older column because it doesnt have the hi-beam switch ( i was going to install a floor mount).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks