• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different cab means different truck

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear engine??? Love it!!!
There are several reasons for going rear engine:

The stock LMTV is front heavy. I notice that when negotiating technical off road obstacles. I removed the 2400 # bed because the rear corners would dislodge boulders from the side of the trail which blocked the road for those who follow me. That made it more front heavy. Then remove the underrider bar, the rear sway bar, bumpstops, tail light housings which makes it ridiculously front heavy. Rear traction, even with the locker, suffered.

The LMTV cab is hot and noisy. Placing the engine arrears helps that.

The heavy engine is now over the rear axle with the locker.

The M715 cab with the top down and windshield folded is 3 feet shorter than the cabover. Helps with clearance through the trees and COG.

I am anxious to run it across the scales to see what the front/back weight distribution is now :)

biscuitwhistler37

The heavy engine is now over the rear axle with the locker.

The M715 cab with the top down and windshield folded is 3 feet shorter than the cabover. Helps with clearance through the trees and COG.

I am anxious to run it across the scales to see what the front/back weight distribution is now :)
That's awesome! IMO, it looks better too, definitely not something seen every day. Best part is, like you said, now it can be titled as a four wheel jeep, as that's technically what it is. Such a cool build.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's awesome! IMO, it looks better too, definitely not something seen every day. Best part is, like you said, now it can be titled as a four wheel jeep, as that's technically what it is. Such a cool build.
Thank you Kind Sir.

Another feature is all of the air-over-hydraulic cab tilt infrastructure is deleted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks