• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different color

Knucklehead

I have had several MILITARY trucks that were not OD. They came from the factory painted a different color at the factory over primer, not over OD. I had a white M37 from the Corps of Engineers, an M725 and an M51 that were Air Force Strata blue. I also had an M51A1 that was painted orange, again from the factory. It was ex USN and the MV dealer I purchased it from said it was at the South Pole. There were no markings left on it as they were ground off. He also had an M62 he acquired out of the same batch that was the same color. I cut the truck up but I still have most of it. Here are some pictures.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find the orange a bit unique but the white and strata blue don't surprise me. My M108 was strata blue right down to the primer. Thats on the cab, axles even the air tanks.

CGarbee

I have some real, military, International Orange (not the tracktor company, but the Federal Standard name) paint in the shed. Not sure what I'll put it on (may just sell it to someboy who needs it so here we go...).
A lot of stuff gets color coded depending on use and location, including entire vehicles... A lot of flightline gear gets painted not only to increase visability, but also to denote contents (avgas and JP bowsers were/are different colors for instance...). I have seen M37 varients in yellow, orange, red, strata blue, white, grey, and green (both Army and Marine) all while in military service and as "factory" colors...

Love hearing about folks who have something "different"

Jones

Orange makes perfect sense considering where you say it came from. What would stand out better against all that snow and ice than bright orange.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
in the 819s life with its many coats of paint, it was yellow at one point in time

Knucklehead

poppop, your M813 may be ex USAF. I know material is transfered from one branch to another. I remember years back when some of the equipment the Marines received was old Army equipment. Tanks and trucks mainly. The Marines went into the first Iraq conflict with M60 MBTs while the Army had M1s.

jasonjc

The stroy I heared is that the Marines stold some M1 at the start?? Thats the way the military works why do you think the data plate are screwed on:) :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks