• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different head gasket than one removed

Mister Sunday

This head gasket it's different than the one I removed. My main concern is this air gap that goes from the fire ring to outside the sealing surface between the block and the head. Could somebody ease my mind about this, or tell me if I've got the wrong gaskets.

Attachments

JasonS

There are better, modern head gaskets available from a SS member. Can't think of his name but I'm sure someone will post it shortly or you can do a search.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vent tab was a design concept that allowed compression pressure to escape, if the fire ring fails, and not destroy the remainder of the gasket. The vent made a chirp noise if the ring had failed.
I am not sure if the new designed gaskets have this feature. All I have ever used had this.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure if the new designed gaskets have this feature. All I have ever used had this.
Sure enough these two pics answer that question...!?;) (left side is new style, the ones Mr. m-35tom is offering...)

G.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you are kinda wasting your time if you use the old style gaskets like you have shown. they will fail much sooner and will not tolerate as much boost as the new style. I stopped selling them since so many other people lowered their price, perhaps because of my low price. you can find them several places for $40 each

Diecorpse

Some places don't label their head gaskets that they are the updated design, so you either look for the ones that say integrated fire rings or look at the picture of the part and make sure it's the black gaskets that matches the top pic from Grengeltaupe's post up above. I know TNJ Murray's has them for $55 each if you are not able to find ones cheaper or in stock.

Mister Sunday

Thanks! I went ahead and put it together with the old style gaskets. Hopefully I'll have better luck than others with how long they last. I just need to get it going so I can get some play time in. She's been down for a year.