• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different odometers?

45FMJoe

Why do some CUCVs have 6 digit odometers, and others have 7? I'm guessing the 7 digit odometers are replacements since I've seen both in all years of production M1009s?

Anubis8472

OIC, you are counting the tenths as a 'digit'

Pretty sure it was mid-80's when GM started installing the 6 (or 7 counting tenths) digits on more vehicles. I can't say when it was acrost the board standard.

I'd say it's most likely that CUCV's with the 6(7) digit have been replaced after a point where GM had switched the civvy lines to it. There would be no reason to continue to produce the old version once all models using that particular part had been updated.
Presumably the CUCV line would not have been updated, thus the ones with it are likely replacements?

Last edited:

45FMJoe

OIC, you are counting the tenths as a 'digit'

Pretty sure it was mid-80's when GM started installing the 6 (or 7 counting tenths) digits on more vehicles. I can't say when it was acrost the board standard.

I'd say it's most likely that CUCV's with the 6(7) digit have been replaced after a point where GM had switched the civvy lines to it. There would be no reason to continue to produce the old version once all models using that particular part had been updated.
Presumably the CUCV line would not have been updated, thus the ones with it are likely replacements?
Yeah, I was counting the tenths as a digit.

I'm guessing replacements, as well?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 100,000 units are the updated versions. When the military ordered replacement parts that is what they got.

If you can find one from a 1988 model you will even get a tripometer. The 1989s and up went to electrical drives.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks