• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different starters??

builderboy

Ok I have a 923a with 250 cummins. I believe the starter is bad. In one of my trips to salina I decided to pull a extra starter to have a spare. Thank goodness.

Both starters are a prestolite Mil-S3785

Here is my question. It appears as though they are the same starter, but yet they are different. It looks like the solonied is about 90 degrees different and the wiring is " flipped" The ground and battery wires are easy to identify. It's the small wire that came off the old one that I'm not sure where to hook it up.

Old starter- there was a wire was connected to the spade terminal on the "right" . the left spade terminal had a wire that went to the ground

New starter has two smaller studs the one on the left is labeled "new switch" with the letter 1 beside it and the stud on the right is labeled with a number four.

I just don't want to hook something up backwards here.

I also have pictures but have now spend thirty minutes and can't get them to load.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take the noise part of the starter loses and turn it to match the old starter.
When I got my M923A1 the starter was bad and when I got the replacement I had to rotate the noise on the new one.[thumbzup]

builderboy

I think the nose piece is in the correct place it's the difference between the two studs on the newer starter.

Does anyone have any ideas??

thanks

builderboy

it's not the nose cone folks. old starter has two terminals. new starter has two studs. Not in the same place on each starter. Has anyone seen anything like this before??

Repeat. It's not the nose cone.

builderboy

got it running !!! Is everyone else but me aware there are more than one style of solenoid on the starters? Heck there is even more than one style of starter!

Dmaxcc6spd

Help! I need a couple of pictures! How many bolts hold the starter on? I can easily see one, but is there another hiding out of view?

Dmaxcc6spd

I saw the Prestolite number at the beginning of the post. NAPA was unable to cross it to anything. Does anyone have some other part numbers for a starter for an 83 M925?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks