• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different types of tarp material

l.l.lind

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could provide information on the different materials tarps are made of, and if there are any performance differences. There seems to be two types of vinyl in addition to canvas. Is one type of vinyl better than the other in regard to weathering and strength?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vinyl wears a bit better, but the canvas is much more rare and has a more traditional look. A lot depends upon which time period you are trying to represent. If you are not trying to represent a specific time period and you just want a cover, choose the one that you prefer.

l.l.lind

I guess I'm trying to determine the differences between the 2 (that I know of) vinyl types. Is one more tear resistant, sun resistant, etc.?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were at least two types of vinyl covers that I am aware of. One has the rubberized rope tie downs and the integral front and rear end curtains. The other has ropes and separate front and rear end curtains. Of the two, I much more prefer the first type. The vinyl covers wear a bit better, but they
deteriorate, too. If you can find new canvas, those covers are sweet. Nothing beats the smell of fresh canvas. It just smells like military! :-D I believe CUCVFAN has or had a new canvas cargo cover kit with bows.

zb39

I have 1 that is 3/4 vinyl and 1/4 canvas on the 2 side bottoms....only 1 i have right now. no end curtains. speaking of this, why do some of the bows go all the way down, when they need to be up for the cover to be tight. were there diff cargo covers??

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there were different manufacturers of the bows over the years and this might account for the differences. They make extended height bows. I have some for my M814. That same kit came with an extended height one piece 3-color camo vinyl cargo cover.

l.l.lind

Thanks guys, that was the info that I was looking for. I have two vinyl tarps with the ropes and one vinyl tarp with the rubberized tie downs. I was trying to determine which of the two I was going to keep. Thanks again.

Larry

Sumoman

There were at least two types of vinyl covers that I am aware of. One has the rubberized rope tie downs and the integral front and rear end curtains. The other has ropes and separate front and rear end curtains. Of the two, I much more prefer the first type. The vinyl covers wear a bit better, but they
deteriorate, too. If you can find new canvas, those covers are sweet. Nothing beats the smell of fresh canvas. It just smells like military! :-D I believe CUCVFAN has or had a new canvas cargo cover kit with bows.
I got the first on mine, new and really nice. We were thinking about taking some of the GP mediums we have and sewing a tarp together. We have an old canvas sewing machine (monster for leather) so we only need to take the tents apart and piece it together and sew (if only it could be that easy).