• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different types of transmissions for m1028

jarrettpcfr

i just found out that my m1028 has a cracked transmission case. i thought it was just the governor plate leaking, wishing more or less. it's cracked from the plate to the expansion plug. can any body tell me what types of transmissions will work besides the turbo 400. i got to broaden my search, it's hard to find a turbo 400 in a junk yard.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4L80E would be the way to go! its basically a Turbo-400 W/O.D. and you can get a standalone computer for just such purposes. I have had several of these tranny's and they handle loads well
That's my 2cents and popacom said that!!!! LOL

popacom / BILL [thumbzup]

jarrettpcfr

hey guys, don't argue. i will take any kind of information. i can take apart anything. question is if i can put it back together, ha ha. i've been a mechanic for years, i just wanted to know what kind would work. i will figure out how to match them.

reloader64

Any of the Chevy trannies will work. GM used a universal bell housing pattern. TH 350 is not quite as strong, but it will hold up under all but the harshest conditions. Same for 700R4, plus you get an overdrive. The 465 4-speed is a good, cheap, usually available candidate, but you have to install a clutch pedal, etc. If I had lots of time and money, I would go NV4500.

Just my opinion.

Scott

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well thata makes me fell better kind of thought 3 drive gears was kind of crappy (sorry) but as long as mine does't go out ....are they ez to repair if they do?? ...... think i'm used to my chevy 3500 with the 6 speed allison tranny.

Last edited:

the spotted zebra

4L80E would be the way to go! its basically a Turbo-400 W/O.D. and you can get a standalone computer for just such purposes. I have had several of these tranny's and they handle loads well
That's my 2cents and popacom said that!!!! LOL

popacom / BILL [thumbzup]
I agree with Bill above.

I have a 4L80E in my daily driver, 2000 K2500 (350, auto, 4x4 old body style). I have owned it since new & the trans is about the only thing that I have never had to replace. With 260k on the odometer, it is on its second engine, third transfer case & I had to replace the rear axle in the 30" of snow that we had a few weeks back. It is a work truck that has been used to tow trailers & plow snow at every opportunity over the past 10 years. Through all that the trans is still going strong. So if thats an option, i would recommend it. And I'm sure the overdrive would be a welcome addition to your truck.

Another thought, have you looked into having it welded? My neighbors humvee had a cracked trans when he got it. Hairline cracked that leaked only when it got really hot. They dropped it down, welded it up & stuck it back in. Still running leak free today. Just a thought.

TH400s are very common. A good case shouldn't be very hard to find. I'm sure that someone here can help you out if you ask nicely.

Good luck with what ever direction that you take. Z

AJMBLAZER

Sorry. M1009 on the brain. But I don't think you could get a TH400 in those years on the civilian counterparts to the M's 1008, 1028.
The TH400 was the only auto trans on the 3/4 ton and higher trucks of this body style from 1973 to 1990. In 1991 the 4L80E with the stand alone controller replaced it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which M1028 do you own? HOW did it crack? You might want to investigate those issues PRIOR to doing anything.

If it ends up being a one time deal, fine. If it is because a bracket or other attachment point is missing? You might need to correct those issues prior to doing ANYTHING ELSE.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks