• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different types of transmissions for m1028

fitz

Have you looked on craigslist? In Mass the going rate for a good turbo 400 4x4 trans is about $250. Complete 3/4 ton parts trucks can be had for about $500.

ODdave

whats a nv 4500.I seen the guy hooked one to his cummins,will it bolt to the 6.2.How much more speed can you get ?
the nv4500 is a 5-speed manual trans with 1st being a "crawl" ratio and 5th being overdrive. they are VERY STRONG and will bolt right up to a 6.2 as long as you get one from a GM application (dodge used them in there HD trucks) I had one behind my 6.5 in my 1028 and loved it. the engine "felt" much more powerfull due to the fact i had a wider selection of gear ratios. They do requier a litle fab work but nothing major. just get some pedals from a doner truck with a hydro clutch and biuld a flexable clutch line then start turning bolts:driver: (had to add the shifting smile)

jarrettpcfr

the trans got cracked from a forklift. atleast that what i figure. i drove the truck less than 2 miles, got back to the house and had trans fluid all over the tailgate and the bottom of the truck looked like it bathed in trans fluid. there is no way i am going to weld the crack, it's atleast 10 inches long. im just gonna find a used one in a junk yard and put it back in. if it goes out, start all over again. it's not hard pulling trans and transfer out. it just sucks that i didn't get to tear it up. those knuckle heads at GL love to use forklifts. and yes my driveshaft is bent, those are hard to come by.

Atwater

the nv4500 is a 5-speed manual trans with 1st being a "crawl" ratio and 5th being overdrive. they are VERY STRONG and will bolt right up to a 6.2 as long as you get one from a GM application (dodge used them in there HD trucks) I had one behind my 6.5 in my 1028 and loved it. the engine "felt" much more powerfull due to the fact i had a wider selection of gear ratios. They do requier a litle fab work but nothing major. just get some pedals from a doner truck with a hydro clutch and biuld a flexable clutch line then start turning bolts:driver: (had to add the shifting smile)
did you use a hydraulic throwout bearing or a slave cylinder?

ODdave

I used the external slave (my doner trans was a 93) Either could be used but i like the idea of being able to change the s/c without removing the trans.

WARWAG

A built 700R4 will be your best option. There are some threads (look up 700R4) that show you whatr is available as a built up 700R4 that would handle a Turbo charged 6.2/6.5. The 700R4 will give you a .70 over drive and a lower first gear than whats on the TH400. For a purpose built 700R4 installed to your transfercase would set you back about $1800. This is the way I will be going. After the 700R4 is built you dont have to worry about any problems with it.

rnd-motorsports

If you can find a good used 400 would be the fastest to replace. A turbo350 is lighter I build alot of them for mud drags if built corectly will be as good as a 400 but lighter. a 700r you can rebuild and update them to be as strong as the 400 a 4l60 or 80 would also work but a bit of extra to getit to work the nv4500 would be a great trans in the truck all comes down to the money you have to spend and the time frame to get it back drivable! any would work!

dstang97

I'm not gonna start a war, but why would you put a half ton tranny in a 1ton truck. Maybe its just me but I have seen quite a bit of them crack at the tail housing including mine. You would be better off putting different axles in it or re-gear.

pmramsey

the trans got cracked from a forklift. atleast that what i figure. i drove the truck less than 2 miles, got back to the house and had trans fluid all over the tailgate and the bottom of the truck looked like it bathed in trans fluid. there is no way i am going to weld the crack, it's atleast 10 inches long. im just gonna find a used one in a junk yard and put it back in. if it goes out, start all over again. it's not hard pulling trans and transfer out. it just sucks that i didn't get to tear it up. those knuckle heads at GL love to use forklifts. and yes my driveshaft is bent, those are hard to come by.
Resleave the drive shaft, replace the universals and have it balanced. Good as new. I get mine done for about $200. With few exceptions, ALL drive shafts are bent; even the ones that look good. Some you will not notice until it is off and you roll it on a flat service.

The cracked case is nothing to fix at a good shop. The crack is most likely a circle around the drive shaft connection to the transmission.

WARWAG

I'm not gonna start a war, but why would you put a half ton tranny in a 1ton truck. Maybe its just me but I have seen quite a bit of them crack at the tail housing including mine. You would be better off putting different axles in it or re-gear.

Thats not a "shot" across the bow. Its a legit question. The simple answer is you can build a "half ton" transmission to be as strong or stronger than a 1 ton transmission. They are Purpose built for the desired application. In some cases its a better way to go since you can get a 4 speed vs the 3 speed and get the much needed over drive that we all (most of us) desire for are very Low geared rigs.

WARWAG

Heres another way to look at it. Swapping in a 700R4 thats built to handle a turbo charged engine here is what you achieve.

70 mph
37" tall tires
.70 over drive ratio (700R4)
4.56 gear ratio (axles)
2029 RPMs

What you had with same tires ect but with a TH400

70 mph
37" tires
1.0 (none over drive TH400)
4.56 axle ratio
2898 rpms! VERY BAD

You best mileage is achieved when you can cruise at the engines peak torque which in the case of a 6.2 thats 2000 rpm. Hope this helps. Also for those of you who want to play around with diffrent gear ratios and tire sizes ect here is a calculator that will figure out what RPM your particular combo gives you.

Novak Conversions - Gearing & Gearing Math for Jeeps

WARWAG

Heres another way to look at it. Swapping in a 700R4 thats built to handle a turbo charged engine here is what you achieve.

70 mph
37" tall tires
.70 over drive ratio (700R4)
4.56 gear ratio (axles)
2029 RPMs

What you had with same tires ect but with a TH400

70 mph
37" tires
1.0 (none over drive TH400)
4.56 axle ratio
2898 rpms! VERY BAD

You best mileage is achieved when you can cruise at the engines peak torque which in the case of a 6.2 thats 2000 rpm. Hope this helps. Also for those of you who want to play around with diffrent gear ratios and tire sizes ect here is a calculator that will figure out what RPM your particular combo gives you.

Novak Conversions - Gearing & Gearing Math for Jeeps

BIG_RED

In my defense, I don't think I have ever come across a "properly built 700r4" (or 4l60, the newer name for a 700r4), but:

In my experience, they don't last. Several of my close friends have them in half tons. One guy just got his rebuilt this year. For my friends, we're talking MAYBE 150,000 miles out of a 700r4 before rebuild, without serious abuse. In a half-ton. With a tranny cooler plumbed in before the tranny cooler in the rad (if you do it the other way around or disconnect the rad, you can cause yourself problems)

I've had good experiences with SM465's, TH400's, and 4L80's. I personally have not owned a 700r4. After watching the trouble my friends have with them, I have stayed away from them.

I'm not saying they are a bad idea, I'm just saying you probably want to get a built-up one rather than a stock one pulled from a junk yard.

I would stick with a TH400. Or I would spend the time/money and swap in a 4l80 or a Manual transmission. Good Luck!

WARWAG

My friend has one (700R4) in his 1 ton "Suburbanator" thats behind a very built 454 v8 and tows a 10,000 lbs trailer all over **** and back. He has had the same "built" 700R4 for 10 years and counting. He orginally had a TH400 but the highway RPMs were just killing his already non existant Miles Per Gallon. He now has a lower 1st gear and cruises all day in OD while towing! Now thats saying something. I dont know how many miles but I would guess at least 150K. I will ask him. When I started searching around for an O.D. transmission I searched around here asking alot of questions. Right across the street sat his rig and a morning conversation revieled what he did. The 700R4 can be built to ungodly strength. But a stock 700R4 is not as strong as a TH400.

BIG_RED

I didn't mean to doubt you WARWAG. As I said, I am not as well-informed. Could you please give us a list of "Build-ups" to ask for the next time we take a 700r4 to a tranny shop? Different bands and clutches? or do you get ALL the guts fancy aftermarket? How much $$$ are we talking? (I mean to ask for all of us who do not know, not trying to steal the thread here)

Th400's are SOLID from the factory. I have done STUPID things and had them survive.

WARWAG

I didn't mean to doubt you WARWAG. As I said, I am not as well-informed. Could you please give us a list of "Build-ups" to ask for the next time we take a 700r4 to a tranny shop? Different bands and clutches? or do you get ALL the guts fancy aftermarket? How much $$$ are we talking? (I mean to ask for all of us who do not know, not trying to steal the thread here)

Th400's are SOLID from the factory. I have done STUPID things and had them survive.

Im no transmission expert but they do change out the internals and swap in parts from a 4l65 as well as other HD components. A purpose built 700R4 will run you about $1800 (installed) and can handle 400 hp and 400 ft lbs and will last as long as any Th400. You can get them built to handle 700 to 900 hp as well but the cost goes up. There are threads on here that go over whats inside a purpose built 700R4. Also a quick search on the internet reveals a bunch of companies that build such 700R4s. The advantage of going with one of these is that you DO NOT need any computers for them to work. I guess someone could also swap in a 4l80e if they want that has a stand alone comp. I try and stay away from anything that is computer controlled. Just my opinion.

Here is just one company:

700R4 700R4 from PATC, 700 Raptor Transmission, 47RE, 47RE 48RE

Heres another company that has one for under $1300 and is built to handle 450hp/450trq

Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

Its not rocket science and back in the day a bunch of gear heads started seeing the advantages of an over drive so they started playing around with the 700R4 to make them as strong as a TH400. I think as a whole they have succeeded and we now reap the benefits today. Again just my opinion and I hope I have given someone another option that they may not have been aware of. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

WARWAG

Big_Red,
In your case a TH400 is just fine ina M1009. But our M1008 and M1028 have 4.56 gears and max speed is 55 mph if you want your engine to live. I can understand why you love the TH400 and dont see a need to change it. I agree with you for your application. Bigger tires are all you would probably need if you wanted to drop rpms. For us 37" tires are not even big enough to run at highway speeds (70 to 75). Think of it as this. You will have some nice TH400 available from us 700R4 swappers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks