• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential id ?

bigflew

Can anyone tell me what model rear end my M1009 has? I know its a gm 10 bolt with a eaton gov loc but I need to order new berrings and such. I took a drive around lake Michigan (1200 miles worth) and at the end I noticed a growl in the rear end so I took the cover off all looks good but there is some rust on the gears (oil is good) so I would like to have all new berrings in hand befor I take it apart.
any way is it a 8.5 inch or what?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

scrambled

It is the 8.5 inch ring gear.

If the gears are too rusted or pitted, new bearings won't fix your growl. Ususally, the growl is from cutting a new wear pattern in the gears after they moved slightly due to a bad bearing. Check the teeth on the ring gear. if the top edge has a sharp feel to it, they have been worn out.

You can still run them for a long while, but they will remain noisy.

Travis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks