• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential Plug from ****!!

bigredlab

The rear diff filler plug in my CUCV is really stuck. I have rounded over two 3/8" extensions in attempts to get it out. (I have used almost a full large can of the super liquid wrench, tapped it with a hammer, . . . ).

Any other tricks?

Anybody know the part number for a replacement plug?

Is there a better way to do this?

sometimes an air wrench turned down and just hammering breaks them loose works great on broken bolts that have nuts welded to them also heat it red hot and use an old candle the wax goes into the threads and works better than any thing else that ive used

Jersey 93 Ty

I never did get mine out on my '84. After I left it out overnight in the parking lot with the diff cover sitting in the cargo area, I either found an old post somewhere on here or someone suggested in a new post (can't remember which at the moment) that the vent tube can be used to fill the differential... very slowly. In my case, very slowly was better than never happening (which is how long I was sure the plug would take to come out), so I tried it. If you do use the vent tube, don't try to outsmart the process and use a hand pump contraption like me... it just turns the differential into a pressurized oil spraying bomb!

rabrownmk

They make a tool called a differential plug extractor designed for 3/8ths diff plugs. I have to use it sometimes at the shop I work at. Just hammer it in and use a wrench against a wrench for more leverage and it should pop loose.

powerhouseduece

I have ran into this problem a few times. I took a old short extension and welded it to the plug. I only put a small tack on all 4 sides of the extension and had to use a breaker bar on it to get it out.

Note; Be sure to not over heat the plug! If the plug expands too much you run the risk of cracking the Housing. I have been lucky so far.

91W350

My trick was to use a break over bar, apply pressure on the handle and smack the handle close to the plug with a hammer.

bigredlab

Good question Blood . . . yes, lefty loosy (counter clockwise).

Still trying but will most likely use the vent tube method.

rabrownmk, where might one get a diff plug tool?

bigredlab

Going to try the breaker bar again while tapping with hammer. Needed to get a 3/8" drive breaker bar so it could go in direct (no extension).

Soaked it all last night in Penetrating oil. More penetrating oil on it this morning.

Hopefully this works. . .

bigredlab

Tried with a 3/8" break over bar while banging it with a hammer. No luck. Put enough force on it to round the inside of the plug.

CUCV85

get a helper

Tried with a 3/8" break over bar while banging it with a hammer. No luck. Put enough force on it to round the inside of the plug.
:arrow:Get a helper to use a Torch- the "Hot Wrench" and you turn will turn that right out with a ratchet and a cheater pipe.
All else fails buy a Cheap New Differential Cover...
Advance Auto Parts Dorman DIFFERENTIAL PLUG Part No.</B> 311504 3/8-18 NPT C.S. Hex Pipe Plug $0.59
Mr. Gasket Differential Cover $29.99 Part No.</B> 9894 or 9895 or 9896
Mr. Gasket Differential Cover Gasket Rear $10.99 Part No.</B> 84 B Rear

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks